General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Please recommend a non-petroleum bore protector.

(1/5) > >>

Skychief:
What would you recommend for a bore protector in a non- petroleum "flavor"?   For years now I have used a light coating of plain old Hoppes gunoil.   I am wondering if I am getting a little extra fouling from the use of it, though I try to clean and dry the bore well before shooting.   I have read here in another thread that the use of petroleum based patch lubes can cause an increase in fouling (which I can understand).   Again, my concern is using a petroleum-based bore coating (the Hoppes gunoil).   What non-petroleum bore protector do you highly recommend, or better yet, swear by?

jim m:
Ballistol sportsmans oil, but I'm sure you will get almost as many opinions as there are members here  :D

Pete G.:
I use Break Free CLP as a bore protector on the last cleaning patch. I think it is a synthetic but am not sure. I also use Balistol and water a patch lube, so fouling is never an issue anyway.

Dphariss:
Just wash the bore out with denatured alcohol then dry before loading.
I have never used anything else but petroleum and have never noticed a problem in 40 odd years.
I wipe most oil from the bore after its been left muzzle down for a couple of hours before its put away.
I also use something lighter than most oils, G-96 Gun Treatment.

Dan

LynnC:
I once upon a time used crisco as a bore protector and seemed to do OK, but it was a mess to wipe it out before shooting.

Now I clean with plain water,  wipe out mostly dry, shoot the WD40 to it (plenty), push it out the vent, wipe out the excess and put away.  Bore stays bright and shiney. ;)

Load and shoot next time out - Easy, no pre shoot degreasing........................Lynn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version