Author Topic: New CapandBall video on rifle v. Musket  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
New CapandBall video on rifle v. Musket
« on: March 17, 2020, 05:07:19 PM »
Very interesting new video from CapandBall on the tactical differences between the musket and rifle at range. The particular rifle used in the video uses balls larger than the bore and a linen patch according to the original manual. 

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:35:21 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: New CapandBall video on rifle v. Musket
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 03:17:30 AM »
Just watched it...I really like his hunting videos, too. Pretty interesting, but the results really don’t surprise me. I did get a kick out of watching him mallet those oversized balls into the muzzle of his jaeger. I think he needs to Daryl the muzzle...🤣🤣

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
Lol Greg.
 Actually, that muzzle must have had a decent and smooth crown or the patches would have been cut when he tapped them into the muzzle.
I noted once started, they were not difficult to push down onto the powder, which is normal.
On the other hand a bit of antimony or tin in the mix & not only are the hard to start, but hard to ram down as well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:58:52 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 11:39:31 PM »
Really enjoyed this video. I am happy when my bag and horn are period correct to my rifle. Can't imagine how much he has invested in gear for each rifle but it is equal to the national debt of some small countries.
 After watching him pound those balls home in the rifle with a wooden mallet I guess the topic of swaged balls not being perfectly round is a moot point as that ball is now flat on the top side.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 09:27:16 AM »
I guess I watched a different video. He tap, tap, tapped them flush then put them down with the starter. He could have put them level with the muzzle that with one smack of his palm on the starter's knob. Tap, tap tap. I have no idea why he existed so much time when he was timing everything.
I did note used a short starter.
One smack on the starters knob having more power than needed, damages the ball less that his three taps.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:31:47 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 09:30:32 AM »
Further
 When we put an even tighter load into the muzzle, the ball is still rounded due to the cupped starter and cupped starter shaft. The end of the rod also has a cupped end so as to not damage the ball.
Daryl

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
Cap and Ball (I can’t even begin to write his real name) is such a gift to the sport. What an awesome man!