Author Topic: 18th century patch lube  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: 18th century patch lube
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2020, 07:56:22 PM »
 Cisco is great if you’re building a flame thrower, but if you don’t want to learn how to pack a deer out, and fight fire at the same time, don’t use it. It has a very low flash point. Venison, mutton, and bear tallow, are much better.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 01:50:19 AM »
I'm sure most Long-hunters would use what they had. Deer tallow/bear grease.
I use nothing else.

Kept off this topic till now, as it seems one of those that does the rounds every so often...   I must lack willpower...  :-)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2020, 04:25:36 AM »
I have no documentation for argument, but I'd think tallow was much more available than beeswax. All the tallow I've rendered is quite firm and should stiffen up bear grease or any other oily varmint fat just fine.

Would not the ratio be trial and error depending on the available materials at the time/location/season? And then we could figure in personal preferences. I have heard there is softer beeswax, what I have is hard-but I use it for other things than patch lube.

I got mine a little too greasy last mix.  More tallow next time.  No idea how much-I just wing it, and haven't worked it out yet. Also it's not beeswax so you likely won't care.

Hold to the Wind

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2020, 04:53:17 AM »
I use the 2/3 mix all year round in Tennessee and it works great.

Stony

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 12:57:26 PM »
About  any type of animal fat is usable as a patch lube. I sort of agree, that a small amount of wax added will make it much easier to handle and use.