Author Topic: Nipple Wrench Makers?  (Read 1857 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Nipple Wrench Makers?
« on: March 19, 2020, 08:35:59 AM »
Hey guys! :)

Does anyone out there MAKE nipple wrenches of the traditional type? I have been researching period authentic nipple wrenches for my shooting pouch. I own one of these style wrenches that is correct for the period:

But it is very large and bulky, awkward for the shooting pouch to say the least. From my books and research, notably Ned Roberts “The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle”, it appears the L-shaped style nipple wrenches of this type, also used with Colt revolvers, were carried in one’s hunting pouch:

So, I ordered one up made by Pedersoli and it is made to fit a revolver nipple, it’s too small for a #11 rifle nipple. It has a built in screwdriver on one end also.

I consider a nipple wrench vital for carrying in the pouch. Reason being, if a dry ball occurs, the nipple wrench can be used to remove the nipple to fill the drum and flash channel with powder to blow out the ball.

So, does anyone make these L-type nipple wrenches, or another period correct small sized nipple wrench, to fit rifle nipples? Thanks all!

-Smokey

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Hold to the Wind

Smokey Plainsman

Re: Nipple Wrench Makers?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 09:14:55 PM »
Okay so I used some cobalt drill bits, a dremel, files, and some cold blue to open up the channel and deepen the nipple hole. Seems to work great! Problem solved.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 11:36:08 PM »
There you go. That's how lots of this crowd does it.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 06:42:50 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 01:47:54 AM »
Okay so I used some cobalt drill bits, a dremel, files, and some cold blue to open up the channel and deepen the nipple hole. Seems to work great! Problem solved.

Well done. Sometimes that's the best way to get the results you want... Especially with this hobby.

Mike

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 09:09:47 PM »
I assume that you are talking about modifying the pistol nipple wrench?
A thought here.  In my limited experience with those import wrenches, the tempering of the steel is pretty pi$$ poor.  I have spiraled the screwdriver tip and I have broken the nipple wrench where one side just broke off.  Another time it bent out.  So, if you are set on maintaining a primitive appearance, do have the nipple wrench properly hardened.
IMHO, the absolute best nipple wrench I have ever used was the old, original style from Thompson Center.  I don't think you could break one of those with a 5 pound hammer.  Still have the one I got back in the early 70's with my first rifle, a Renegade.
John (Bigsmoke)

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 01:27:50 AM »
Mine is a Pedersoli. It is hardened, believe me it is hardened. Tough to get through even with cobalts. I’ve used it a few times now and it’s working great, seems ever bit as strong as anything else.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 04:28:22 AM »
Good deal, I am glad to hear of your success.
In my experience, Pierangelo Pedersoli does not really appreciate hearing of problems, but he does take action when he does.  I don't think I would want to be down stream from him when he comes back from the SHOT Show after talking with customers.  I know we have had a few conversations about quality control and his jaws got pretty tight.
John (Bigsmoke)

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 04:53:16 AM »
Pierangelo Pedersoli seems like a really cool guy. Hope him and the company are getting through the corona, it’s hitting hard over there.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 07:27:14 AM »
My favourite nipple wrench is one I made from a short length of 3/8" drill rod.  I bored a hole into its end and cut a slot across, then hardened and tempered it.  It still wasn't tough enough to withstand the rigors of removing a crusted up and fouled nipple, so I reinforced the business end with a short length of thin walled pipe silver solcered to the working end.  The other end has a hole cross drilled for a nail whose ends are upset to keep the nail from being lost.  This one works really well, and lives in my Hawken designated bag.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.