Author Topic: Hand cut files  (Read 1043 times)

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

Hand cut files
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:43:09 PM »
Well being stuck at home during the viral crisis for some of us isn't a bad thing.  I am using this time to go over some old projects that I always wanted to redo AND update my tools and sharpen any edge that needs it. 
Last year while attending Wallace Guslers class on rifle carving, I was introduced to "Hand cut files".  So, I looked them up and ordered one from France directly.  Wow, do they cut nice.  In roughing out a stock I start with a Shinto, then work down to the Liogier rasp.  I got an email the other day from the company and it inspired me to order 3 more.  Two cabinet maker files and a riffler. 
Now they are pricey but I feel well worth the investment.  Ordering directly from the factory did save a little then from a US supplier and it did take a bit more time to get here so that is the trade off for savings.  Here's the contact for the WEB site:   https://www.liogier-france.fr

Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline yulzari

Re: Hand cut files
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 09:34:45 PM »
Liogier make wonderful rasps etc and their website includes English. Not cheap but superb. I look out for them second hand in village sales in the summer here in France. They will do them for the left handed as well as the right and will do specials if you can define what you want. For old ones rusted overnight in 15% vinegar takes off the rust and resharpens them.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie