Author Topic: Engraving  (Read 4290 times)

eagle24

Engraving
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:12:46 AM »
I'm interested in some simple engraving, maybe just initials on the top barrel flat.  Would a round graver or square graver be the way to go for just simple letters?

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Engraving
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »
A typical square graver is what you want for basic, beginning engraving, including lettering.
If a person was satisfied to only engrave at the level of many original longrifles, he COULD engrave the rest of his life with only that graver, and still do some very impressive work.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:44:50 AM »
  What Jeff said!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:15:04 AM »
A typical square graver is what you want for basic, beginning engraving, including lettering.
If a person was satisfied to only engrave at the level of many original longrifles, he COULD engrave the rest of his life with only that graver, and still do some very impressive work.

Jeff

In Lynton McKenzie's videos he states that with a square graver and a couple of flats he could reproduce any English firearms engraving IIRC . He pretty well dispels a the need for a lot of different gravers and complex equipment to sharpen them.
People interested learning engraving really should buy or rent all three.

I have a friend who used the square almost exclusively and did some pretty fair work.

Picture loses a lot on this lock.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

eagle24

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:25:07 PM »
Thanks!  For engraving initials on the barrel which size square graver should I use?  I see TOW has sizes 1-5 with 1 being the smallest I think.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 12:52:36 AM »
TOW doesn't seem to indicate the dimensions or what type of handle their square gravers have.  I like 3/32" graver blanks because I sharpen them with the Lindsay sharpening jigs.
Regardless of the shank size, the business end is the same.  It's just a matter of how much metal you remove near the point to allow to you to see what your working on.  That is until you get to a very fine point for shading, which would be too small for wider cuts.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:59:53 PM by Jeff Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 05:49:24 AM »
Thanks!  For engraving initials on the barrel which size square graver should I use?  I see TOW has sizes 1-5 with 1 being the smallest I think.

3/32 square.
I would order from Brownell's. The long cobalt gravers then install handles. Get a light chasing hammer.
Then get the McKenzie videos, you can rent them from smartflix.com.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

California Kid

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 08:29:15 AM »
dpharris, I agree the Mckenzie videos are great.
Brownells doesn't sell those 4" square graver blanks any more. Grs doesn't sell the long ones either, only 2
2 1/2" from GRS. I buy 1/8" lathe bits, HSS or Momax cobalt from MSC or ENCO and fit them in 3/8" aluminum handles with a set screw. Much cheaper.

Offline Doug Cline

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 08:00:31 PM »
Another source for gravers and chasing hammers is Mike Lea, I know some of the people who have taken the class at Bowling Green a couple years ago used his gravers and were pleased with them.