Author Topic: Should Louie Parker recreate the A.F. Gross rifle?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Should Louie Parker recreate the A.F. Gross rifle?
« on: March 22, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
 8) 8) 8)... Louie,.. not wanting to adversely affect your building desires,... but I would truly like to see a Louie Parker re-creation of your A.F. Gross rifle,.... the one Robin called "The most highly decorated Tennessee Rifle",.... !!!..... Hmmmm,...??? ... regards,.. Cades Cove Fiddler
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:07:39 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline louieparker

Re: Should Louie Parker recreate the A.F. Gross rifle?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 05:40:33 PM »
Cades Cove,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am sometimes a brute for punishment. But the way I feel right now just thinking about doing that give me sort of a sick feeling. Not sure I am even up to a pistol.  ..LP
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:08:11 PM by Ky-Flinter »

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 06:40:13 PM »
 ;) ;).. I understand, Louie,... that rifle would be an extreme labor of love for anyone,... has anyone ever attempted a re-creation of her,...? ... I can still remember the first time I saw this rifle in Knoxville,... I'm still awe-struck,.... best wishes, Louie,... keep building and hopeing to see you in Knoxville,... CCF,...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:08:28 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline louieparker

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 09:09:10 PM »
CCF..Here is another view of that rifle. The little man under the moon is interesting to me..I would really like to know who AFG made that rifle for. But we will probably never know for sure. The only clue I have came from Jim Moran an old resident of Sullivan Count and a Gross and Glover fan. Maybe a weak bit of evidence but all I have.. Back in I think 1962 this rifle was on the Today Show. Jim Moran saw the show and contacted the owner..I have the letter he wrote on Sullivan County Historical Society letter head. Jim thought the rifle was owned by a member the Gross family. He said that the old residents of Sullivan County had told him that when the Gross family left Sullivan County they sold the most ornate rifle anyone had ever seen. I was later told the Gross family never left  Sullivan County and there were no photograph of Alfred. But as I later learned one branch of the family had moved to California. I don't know when this happened. But they had a photo of Alfred..I also got a poor photo copy of a photo of Alfred's house..Taken on his 50th wedding anniversary..It shows a house on the side of a hill with a porch across the entire front. The porch is full of people but can't tell much else.
The second most ornate Gross has Brass overlay on iron. This rifle has no owners name either. But was owned by Grisley Peters of Sullivan County.  Grisley died in 1908 and there is a photo of him holding the rifle. I think it and the silver gross were made very close together.Both were made in flint. Somewhere out there is another ornate Gross . It has much less ornamentation is marked AFG for IP. I suspect for another Peters...According to Moran this rifle was found in the attic of house..The house was located near the Old Block House in East Tenn.. According to Moran. LP

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:08:48 PM by Ky-Flinter »

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 01:56:12 AM »
 8) 8) 8)... Thanx so much, Louie,... I was going to discuss the provenance of this rifle next time I saw you,... you have explained it perfectly,...!!!.... I met Jim Moran back in the early days of the Knoxville show, when it was over in West Hills,... he was displaying the "C BEAN for I. HENDLEY" rifle at that time,... was a really friendly and knowledgable collector,.. I believe You had this A. GROSS at that same show,... (talk about Tennessee rifle overload,.. !!!)... thanx for the additional photos,... never get tired of seeing them,.. and I vote ..."YES",.. !!! ... this rifle should be re-created,... and I do believe that no one could do it better,... !!! ...better get going,... Knoxville show less than a month away,.. !!! ... thanx again,... CCF,... :) :) :) 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »
Looks like that maker knew someone from Jamestown, NC!   :-) 

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 06:13:11 PM »
 ??? ??? ???... interesting observation, Marc,.... I wonder when the Jamestown "style" inlay began,... ??? ... I have always thought it was a later decorative style,... maybe replacing carving ,...??? ... what is the attributed date for this A.F. Gross rifle, Louie,..???... this is a good and interesting topic,... CCF

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
All but ONE of my rifles made by me are "gross" ;D
Bob Roller

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 08:16:20 PM »
Ha ha! Same here Bob!  ::)

Big John
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 08:49:17 PM »
CCF I agree that LP would be the right guy to recreate this rifle. For an old @$#% he does right nice work. ;) All kidding aside, I have always thought Louie to be one of the very best builders and restorers that I have ever had the opportunity to meet. His work is always top shelf and if he does ever decide to build this rifle I expect it would be a marvelous job.

Jim
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline louieparker

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 08:57:40 PM »
CCF  when I read Marc's post I thought he might have seen this rifle in the Bevins Carolina book. Its in that book.. A rather  odd angle photo but it is this rifle.
One more Jim Moran story.  A friend and I were at the Knoxville show at the Howard Johnson's. Jim was there with about four rifles. The nearest rifle to him was a very nice walnut stocked Alfred Gross.. I thought it was a bit special. I ask Jim what he wanted for it. He said, "Oh I can't sell it I gave it to my daughter ! "  During the day I went back on a few occasions and questioned him again.. Got the same answer,"Can't sell it gave it to my daughter ">> 
That night I was in bed wanting to go to sleep..My friend was setting cross legged in the middle of his bed sipping a drink and saying nothing...Seemed like for ever. Suddenly he said,"I will trade you this, this and this and throw in a powder flask for I can't remember what. It sounded good to me and we made the trade and went to sleep..  Included in the trade I got a Samuel Glover rifle.  The  next morning I carried the Glover to where Jim was guarding his Gross.   I handed him the Glover and said Jim I will trade you this rifle for the Gross. He never hesitated and handed me the Gross.
Jim at the time  seemed very old to me and a bit frail.. I told my friend the we might never see him again..  I missed one or two shows and then went back.  There sat Jim Moran. I ask how are you doing Jim..He replied,"I just got married !"....

Offline t.caster

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 04:56:57 PM »
Hmmm, most unusual, it has 5 ramrod pipes! I wonder if the barrel was pinned 6 or 7 times?
Tom C.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 06:42:27 PM »
   Well I probably should keep out of this...but could Jim an Louie do a partner ship on this rifle...? We have TWO very good builders an it sure would be interesting to see what they came up with...Now I sure hope they DON'T cancel our T.N show...
That would put me over the edge....  Oldtravler

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 07:24:29 PM »
Hmmm, most unusual, it has 5 ramrod pipes! I wonder if the barrel was pinned 6 or 7 times?

Hacker Martin built a rifle for Bill Large years ago and it has SIX flat keys to
secure the barrel.I don't know if his family still has it or not.Some of Bill's
guns were stolen several years ago.Hacker had more time putting those keys
in than some of us have in making a rifle.
Bob Roller