Author Topic: war club  (Read 1385 times)

Offline yip

war club
« on: March 22, 2020, 11:51:10 PM »
 i hope i'm in the right place for this. while watching THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS  i was wondering what the name of the war club that CHINGACHGOOK was called and if there are dimensions for it.

Offline Mike from OK

Re: war club
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 12:16:40 AM »
Try Googling "gunstock war club"

That should put you on the right path.

I don't remember seeing anyone on here make one. But that could just be my memory. Lol

They are a fierce and impressive looking weapon.

Mike

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 01:13:16 AM »
 Scroll through this:  https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search?q=gunstock+war+club

Thank Art and Jan.

Tim C.

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 01:55:04 AM »
I googled "ball end war club" and got good results, with a different architecture from "gunstock war club".

I find these eastern war clubs interesting. Some are very aesthetic, and the craftsmanship is impressive. Out here in the west, the Indians just tied rocks on the end of a stick and called it good. That's about where I'm at too, at least as far as my craftsmanship goes.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 05:15:07 AM »
I googled "ball end war club" and got good results, with a different architecture from "gunstock war club".

I find these eastern war clubs interesting. Some are very aesthetic, and the craftsmanship is impressive. Out here in the west, the Indians just tied rocks on the end of a stick and called it good. That's about where I'm at too, at least as far as my craftsmanship goes.

LOL. You aren't alone Jose.

Mike

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 02:20:13 PM »
That particular variant is called a gunstock warclub. However, they aren't as far as I can tell, PC for mid-18th century NY, but show up in the Mid-West areas around 1800. The ball-headed warclub and elusive saber-type club were the types used in the NE during the French and Indian Wars.

Chingachgook's club is somewhat supersized compared to originals, too. Good dimensions are hard to come by, but I've heard that whhile broad in profile they are no thicker than 1" or so through the mid-section and are quite narrow at the edges, so even though fairly light all the force is concentrated in a fairly small point. I'm working on a copy of an honest-to-goodness Mohican saber-style fish effigy club, kind of the ancestor to the gunstock type (and the model the move should have used for C's club!) and it is quite light but obviously capable of cracking a skull or critical bone if swung with much force.

Actual fighting percussion weapons tend to be much smaller than Hollywoood would have you think.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

RoaringBull

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »
The website Splendid Heritage has several really nice original war clubs, among other things. One caught my eye as unique. Its item number WC8709039. Its been used as a smoking pipe!

http://www.splendidheritage.com/nindex.html

Offline Lindisfarne793

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 06:23:23 AM »
A bit of an aside, has anyone ever looked at the ball end clubs and compared them to a knobkerrie? I would love to hear some of their defining characteristics,  as some knobkerrie seem to have the crook at the root ball much like the Native American clubs.