Author Topic: Introduction - NC family related to Sitton Gillespie  (Read 2097 times)

Offline AZshot

Introduction - NC family related to Sitton Gillespie
« on: March 27, 2020, 05:59:18 PM »
Hi, I just joined your good forum, after talking to Dennis about my quest for a Gillespie rifle. 

We were a long-time Mills River family.  I’m related through Isabell Gillespie (daughter of John, sister of rifle maker Matthew) who married Lawrence Sitton.  Her son Phillip L Sitton married Nancy Caroline Allen.  My gg-great grandfather is buried in the Sitton-Gillespie cemetery, along with several other Allens. When I was young in the early 70s, we would sometimes go to the graveyard and dad would tell stories about their lives.   The family lore is that some of my ancestors worked "on rifles at an iron works" in Mills River.

My interest in black powder started at a young age in NC, I had my first rifle at about 12 or 13.  But over the years I got interested in other things and guns, moved out West to NM and AZ and raised a family.  Finally, in the past 30 years my wife has tried to find out more about our Mills River Allens (And McCalls).  The past 3-4 years we went to Hendersonville several times doing research.  Now, I want a Gillespie rifle! 

Dennis helped and now I have a line on a modern made one, that should be very close to the real thing.  I'm excited, and will post more as it evolves.  The two questions I had at first were will I be happy with walnut instead of maple (I'm not an expert of mountain rifles).  I'm now convinced.  And will an "aged" finish be something I would want.  Its funny but in my gun collecting experience, the opposite was sometimes done with old Colts and Winchesters.  An original, aged finish is "restored" which I always advise against, and will not buy a restored gun.  But with flintlocks, it is different.  I'm not buying an original (though would love one one day), so the whole thing is restored!  So I'm leaning towards an aged finish.  My 82 year old father said he would get the aged...so it will feel more like an heirloom.  Glad to be here.

Offline MuskratMike

Re: Introduction - NC family related to Sitton Gillespie
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 06:27:12 PM »
Walnut, no make that black walnut and yes age the rifle right down to the dents and dings in the stock. Dennis is a wealth of knowledge and is currently helping me in the upcoming recreation of the famous Mathew Gillespie rifle. Feel free to message me for further details.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:19:56 PM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline cable

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 12:19:08 AM »
I grew up right there, and went to Etowah school and then to West Henderson.  my ancestors were up there since just after the revolutionary war. our principal at Etowah, was howard sitton , and he brought Gillespie rifles to school and lectured us about them.

Dennis and I both had ancestors at Guilford courthouse, where the famous battle was fought against Cornwallis.  you have found a good home on this board -- welcome!  I don't know much but I am here learning.  get Dennis' book if you don't already have it

Offline AZshot

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 02:01:56 AM »
Thanks both.  I'm about to pull the trigger on the Gillespie (no pun).  Though I knew my family was from the Mills River area (also traced to right after the Revolution, I found out the past few years that another line, on my mom's side was from up there too.  The McCall family.  So it's high time to get a rifle like my forefather's made and carried. 

I have ordered Dennis' book.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:23:19 AM by AZshot »

Offline Algae

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 04:42:00 AM »
Wellcome, and keep us posted!

Al J.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 01:06:21 AM »
 ;) ;)... Keep looking AZ,... they're still hiding out there,...I'm in Henderson County (most of the time) and know the old Mills River site,... I'm always looking for leads around here, too,.. have been told by several that they know of a Gillespie rifle, but not seen one so far in private hands,... there was a fellow at last years Knoxville show that had a nice one that he found in a small out-of-the-way antique/junk store down near Bryson City a couple years back,... let me know when you're back this way,... we'll go "Gillespie hunting",... !!!... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 02:33:39 AM »
;) ;)... Keep looking AZ,... they're still hiding out there,...I'm in Henderson County (most of the time) and know the old Mills River site,... I'm always looking for leads around here, too,.. have been told by several that they know of a Gillespie rifle, but not seen one so far in private hands,... there was a fellow at last years Knoxville show that had a nice one that he found in a small out-of-the-way antique/junk store down near Bryson City a couple years back,... let me know when you're back this way,... we'll go "Gillespie hunting",... !!!... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler

One made its way from last year's TN show to Germany. Every now and then one pops up.  CCF, if you talk nice that guy might post photos of that rifle, you never know.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline AZshot

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 04:05:59 AM »
Thanks Caves Cove and Dennis.  I bet 30 years ago, before I moved out West, it would've been easier.  But in my other hobbies I've found some amazing things.  So you're right, it's out there....  Will do.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 04:33:41 AM »
  What part of Az. you from we just got home from Mesa things shut down so we came home early. we spend the winter out there . We have a grandson who goes to Etowah school  . The museum in Hendersonville had a Gillesy rifle in there about three years ago .Love that country down there .

Offline cable

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 11:50:03 PM »
  What part of Az. you from we just got home from Mesa things shut down so we came home early. we spend the winter out there . We have a grandson who goes to Etowah school  . The museum in Hendersonville had a Gillesy rifle in there about three years ago .Love that country down there .

where is that museum?  I guess I should know, but maybe it wasn't there before.   the last time I was even through there was in 1988....sigh, I have just worked and never got back there.  starting this summer [ I am close to 73 years old now ] ,  I am cutting back and only working 2 weeks per month, so hopefully I will get to do and see these things.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
... Cable,... the museum is the Henderson County Museum on Main St. downtown Hendersonville,... was the old Court House,.. cannot miss it,... has a big gold dome on top like a mosque,.. !!!... the rifle is in a small room just after entrance, turn right,... It is the most decorated Phillip Gillespie known,.. brass mounted,... in a glass showcase, but well displayed,...over in Brevard there is a Gillespie rifle in the Transylvania Co. Museum, too,.. I believe it is the one called "Old Ellen",... Dennis can add to this,...

Offline cable

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 09:43:57 PM »
thanks, I just have to get back and visit.....my son is 30 now and has never even been there.  one of my rev war ancestors cabin from about 1791 is still standing there.  he needs to see that !