Author Topic: Kibler Builders?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Smokey Plainsman

Kibler Builders?
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:00:12 AM »
My mind weighs heavily on a Kibler flintlock. I am set to go on a trip for work that could last up to half a year. My constant moving and traveling bar me from settling down to build one myself.

I am interested in hiring someone to assemble and finish the kit for me whilst I am out of the country. I am wondering, though, what would be a reasonable price I could expect to pay someone? I understand these kits require much less finish and fitment over other kits.

I am putting a price of $2-500 for the build as I have been notified it is obligatory to have posted here.

Thanks to all,

-Smokey
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:12:11 PM by Smokey Plainsman »

Online Bob McBride

• Short Mountain, TN
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Kibler Builders?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 04:35:36 PM »
My mind weighs heavily on a Kibler flintlock. I am set to go on a trip for work that could last up to half a year. My constant moving and traveling bar me from settling down to build one myself.

I am interested in hiring someone to assemble and finish the kit for me whilst I am out of the country. I am wondering, though, what would be a reasonable price I could expect to pay someone? I understand these kits require much less finish and fitment over other kits.

Thanks to all,

-Smokey

Which kit Smokey? Iíd say you could expect to pay $500 to $1000 for a standard, to slight customization finish. Id do one for you for $500. Minimal fitment but they do have to be touched with a riffler and/or chisel in every inlet, just to square the 1/32Ē CNCd rounded corners up. Fairly straight forward. Finish takes longer that the fitting. 2 week turnaround.  Iíve been thinking about doing another for a video build series...

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:04:44 PM »
Smokey,

Thanks for the interest in our kits.  We often work with Chuck Edwards to completely finish our rifles when customers request it.  He does a fantastic job, is priced fair and turns things around in good time.  What more could you ask for?  Let us know if we can help.

All the best,
Jim

Online Bob McBride

• Short Mountain, TN
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 05:13:15 PM »
Jimís offer is probably your best option Smoke.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 05:18:26 PM »
I put one together in 6 hours. Ready for finish. I have no idea how much time would be involved in finishing the wood and metal.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 05:41:37 PM »
Hello, friends. I am interested in the Southern Mountain Rifle Kit.

I prefer guns that are most simple. No carving or engraving of any shape or form. Totally plain, perhaps a grease hole in the butt but that is all. Maybe a Southern style banana patch box but Iím not sure how much that would add to the cost. I would be buying a fancy mapleís wood kit. Iíd love the gun finished a nice honey brown that brings out the grain and with browned barrel, lock, and mountings. The gun would be a .32 caliber.

I am just trying to get an idea of what would be a fair and reasonable price to ask for the build. I am always impressed when the fine folks here show a finished Kibler, what beauts! Thanks all!

-Smokey

$200 to $500 willing to talk about it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:30:49 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »
Jim Kibler's offer is probably the best way to go. Your rifle will arrive to you fully completed. No need for you to send the kit off to somebody and go thru all that hassle.

Online Bob McBride

• Short Mountain, TN
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
Hello, friends. I am interested in the Southern Mountain Rifle Kit.

I prefer guns that are most simple. No carving or engraving of any shape or form. Totally plain, perhaps a grease hole in the butt but that is all. Maybe a Southern style banana patch box but Iím not sure how much that would add to the cost. I would be buying a fancy mapleís wood kit. Iíd love the gun finished a nice honey brown that brings out the grain and with browned barrel, lock, and mountings. The gun would be a .32 caliber.

I am just trying to get an idea of what would be a fair and reasonable price to ask for the build. I am always impressed when the fine folks here show a finished Kibler, what beauts! Thanks all!

-Smokey

Smoke, go with a handmade patchbox if you go that route. The gun deserves one. There are several guys on the forum who make very excellent Bean, Whitson, or similar. Give Katherine a call at Kibler's, for finishing costs. She's most helpful, and has a super personality, and is very patient with questions.

Offline Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 08:17:52 PM »
Thanks so much, all!

I did not know Mr. Kibler could arrange the build on his end. That would certainly streamline the process. Thanks, Mr. Kibler! :)

Thanks also to the recommendations and offers from others. I am currently deep in research to get my specs together for the build.

One thing is I know Mr. Kiblerís rifles come with a 46Ē barrel. I am not a tall man, of 5í 7Ē. That wouldnít be too long a barrel for a shorter man like me? Seems as if the quoted weight in .32 caliber of 7lbs 6oz should balance beautifully for offhand shooting.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated gang! Thanks to all,

-Smokey

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 08:38:43 PM »
I had one in .36 caliber nice offhand weight. Also recommend Chuck Edwardsís highly.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 09:07:03 PM »
Regardless of your height these SMR's that Jim produces are so well balanced anybody can shoot them. I love mine, and yes everyone there is a pleasure to work with. You might however need to rethink that price offer to have someone finish it.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Administrator
  • Jon Rider
    • Kingsburyarms.com
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 10:18:09 PM »
I built a Kibler Mountain Rifle in .40 for my son - Light and accurate!!! - you will enjoy the rifle.

Online Bob McBride

• Short Mountain, TN
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 10:33:38 PM »
I you havenít held a petite southern gun and Kiblers in particular you canít imagine how tiny they are. The .40 and .45 are particularly featherweight.

Offline Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
I you havenít held a petite southern gun and Kiblers in particular you canít imagine how tiny they are. The .40 and .45 are particularly featherweight.

Thanks, Bob!

I have a very lightweight (just over 6lbs) short .40 half stock percussion rifle. I LOVE the rifle, but truth be known, itís 32Ē 13/16Ē barrel is a bit too light for steadiest offhand work. I imagine in brain one of Kiblerís .32s or .36s to be about perfect!

I was having reservations on the 46Ē bbl length as I am only 5í 7Ē but then I thought that the men back then weíre often my height so maybe it should be fine?

Online Bob McBride

• Short Mountain, TN
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 11:10:55 PM »

Thanks, Bob!

I have a very lightweight (just over 6lbs) short .40 half stock percussion rifle. I LOVE the rifle, but truth be known, itís 32Ē 13/16Ē barrel is a bit too light for steadiest offhand work. I imagine in brain one of Kiblerís .32s or .36s to be about perfect!

I was having reservations on the 46Ē bbl length as I am only 5í 7Ē but then I thought that the men back then weíre often my height so maybe it should be fine?

My SMR .36 is a bit end heavy for my wife but sheís 5í3Ē and not super upper body strong. Sheís a bit a Victorian. (Her big Coach tote is the heaviest thing she normally carries.) It balances better than any rifle I can remember shouldering. Itís a killer offhand. If I was 5í7Ē and of normal strength it would still be perfect. I bought a .45 to put on it for her to use on woodswalks and it is ultralight but steady and well balanced. I think it might live with the .45 mostly as itís my second .36.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curtís Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
Kibler Rifle by Chuck Edwards
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 03:31:13 AM »
Here's two rifles or a rifle and smoothbore that Chuck Edwards finished for me.  The iron mounted gun is Jim Kibler's .45 cal. SMR with some options added to it.  The .45 is the lightest of all (compared to the .32 and .36) and balances really nice - even for a short person. 

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curtís Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 03:35:40 AM »
Here's a pair of .58 cal. rifles of Jim Kibler's kits that Chuck finished:

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 04:04:09 AM »
Mighty nice looking rifles!
Roger Fleisher

Offline Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 04:14:57 AM »
Beautiful rifles!

I amnít so worried about strength so much as being able to load it since itís so long. :)

Online Bob McBride

• Short Mountain, TN
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 04:22:13 AM »
They averaged 5í5Ē back in the day. kick it out to the right, and pour powder.....

Offline okawbow

• Black Rhino Longbows
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 05:33:33 AM »
Beautiful rifles!

I amnít so worried about strength so much as being able to load it since itís so long. :)

I read a old book somewhere that mentioned a good longrifle should be long enough to come up past the chin, so itís unlikely you will shoot yourself when reloading.
As in life; itís the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 07:23:33 AM »
I know I have posted it before but just love my .40 Kibler SMR so here it is again.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 10:20:11 PM »
I am 5ft 8in and a 46inch barrel isn't a problem for me to load.  Unless of course you can't raise your hands above your nose.  And if you load by holding your rifle between your knees per the National Muzzleloader Rifle Association instruction the angle brings the muzzle lower. 

Offline Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 07:58:30 AM »
Wow thanks guys!

I have been binge watching Jim Kiblerís videos on building his kits. Seems they really go together very easily. I didnít know how easy they were to assemble.

I might be better off saving a ton of cash and just building one myself once time permits and I get back in country.

Offline Jim Evans

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 11:17:20 AM »
I just got an e-mail from Jim Kibler that there is only about a week wait for the .54 and .58 kits