Author Topic: Does anybody know anything about AW Craig, WM Large, Sutter flintlocks?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Jim Curlee

I ran a WTB ad on the ALR site.
Had some great hit's but nothing that really tickled my fancy, but I did have a hit on a different forum.

I bought an AW Craig flintlock made in 1964, 45 caliber, WM Large 7/8ths straight barrel, Sutter flintlock.
Looks almost unused, actually looks quite mint to me, and for a guy stuck in the sixties, I couldn't have made a better buy.

I found a bit of info on the net but, not enough to quench my thirst on who AW was.
I haven't received the rifle, but if it looks anything like it does in the pics, I'll be extremely pleased.
His workmanship was perfect!
Had to pay a bit more than I was hoping to spend, oh well, but it looks like I got a dandy rifle.
I'll post some pics when I receive the rifle.
There are still some pics on the Muzzleloading Forum site.

Can anybody tell me anything about AW Craig rifles, WM Large barrels, and Sutter flintlocks?

Thanks
Jim

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
   Jim in my opinion Bill Larges barrels are some of the best out there.   Oldtravler

Offline T*O*F

Use the archive search function to find out about Sutter.  There is a long, informative thread about him in the archives including input from a living relative.  I doubt the comprehensiveness of that thread will be repeated.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

W.G.Sutter was a lockmaker in Ruffsdale,Pennsylvania in the late 1950's and early 60's.
Some of his locks were reproduced EXTERNALLY by casting and have his name on them
whether they were any good or not.Show a picture of this lock and the gun.Sutter's locks
were not sophisticated but they usually worked.He made his tumblers from torsion bars
from Chrysler and Packard cars that used them in their suspension systems.
Bill Large's barrels at one time ruled the ranges and a number of them are still in use.
Bill passed away in September of 1985.He was 78.There have been barrels show up with
Bill's name on them that were NOT his work.Just some dishonest opportunist with a set
of Young Brothers 1/16"metal stencils.
Bob Roller

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:11:31 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Jim Curlee

Bob, you sure know how to burst a guy's bubble. LOL

My purpose when I started down this road was to buy a flintlock to hunt deer with, I'm pretty sure I accomplished that. lol
I am not a collector, so to me whether the components are legitimate or not isn't really much of a concern, so long as when I pull the trigger, it goes bang.

I like AWs workmanship, and I'd just like to know a little bit more about the guy.
I think the guy was a fine craftsman.
For all I know he was making kits back in the sixties, maybe he was putting his name on somebody else's rifle, or maybe somebody modified a modern kit to look old, I don't have a clue.

When I get it, I'll post some pics.

Jim

Offline rsells

I have used Bill Large barrels over the years and they are first class.  I am building a rifle now using the last Large barrel that I have owned for many years.  Some folks have put some of his barrels back to use down the road.  A competitor and friend of mine has seven of Bill's barrels put away and is not willing to let me purchase any more from him.  By the way, he has won the state match in KY in the past using a rifle with a Bill Large barrel in conjunction with a lock and set triggers made by Bob Roller.  Great combination.  The last rifle I built using  this combo was a 7/8 across the flats Large barrel in .40 cal. and it is a super shooter.  The rifle I am building now with the Large barrel is for me.  I look forward to working up a load combo and shooting it a bunch.
                                                                                                Roger Sells

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Bill Large built good barrels I have probably stocked 1/2 dozen of them. BUT, all barrels will shoot. I have seen a Colerain 38" swamped .50 shoot some of the best groups I have seen lately. I built  a gun for a friend around a .40 Getz that I shot some of my best groups ever, Don Stith owns it now.  Good shooting barrels have as much or more to do with who's pulling the trigger.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Notchy Bob

There was an Alonzo (or Alonso?) Craig building rifles back in the sixties.  I remember reading about him in Muzzle Blasts magazine.  I think he was a well respected builder for the time, but beyond that, I don't really know anything about him.

I believe Mr. Craig's name may have come up on this forum within the past few months, so you could probably do a search and glean a little more information about him.

I can't help you with the Sutter lock.  Bob Roller's comments were noted, and T*O*F mentioned an extensive discussion of these locks in the archives of this forum.  Again, a search may give you some answers.

There has been a tremendous amount of discussion of William Large barrels on this and other muzzle-loading forums.  I'll bet Bob Roller could answer most specific questions you might have about them.  Bob has always been generous in sharing his knowledge.

If you really are "stuck in the sixties," I would recommend you check out the back issues of Muzzle Blasts from that era.  Go to the NMLRA website and register to get access to the digitized issues online.  You may have to be an NMLRA member... Not sure about that.  In any event, browsing through the back issues may yield more information about Mr. Craig, and Mr. Large had a giant ad in every issue.  I think Mr. Large must have written something new for his ad every month.  They were always fun to read.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife