Author Topic: Tow & Toggle  (Read 1517 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Tow & Toggle
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:17:44 PM »
I am stuck at home due to the virus and decided to make a simple cleaning tool I’d read about others using and that appears to be period. I’ve heard this called the “tow and toggle” and it is how it sounds. It is basically a wad of tow tied to a stick by a string the length of the barrel or so:

I used strong hemp string and played around with different sizes of wads and got one that is snug but not too tight in my .40 caliber bore. It is used thusly:

The wad is started into the bore with the fingers:

Next, it is pushed down to the breech with the ramrod, with the string trailing out the muzzle:

The ramrod withdrawn and using the “toggle” (AKA stick), the wad is pulled up and out of the barrel:

This practice run went very well. This appears to be a sort of 19th (and quite possibly 18th) century “bore snake” as it were. The tow can be cleaned with water and left to dry for reuse. I will be testing it in the field soon. Seems a good way to quickly remove some fouling from the bore during hunting or shooting.

Probably not a great way to clean the gun for storage but to wipe between a handful of shots I’m thinking it should work pretty well, and takes up virtually no space in the shooting pouch and is extremely cheap and easy to make. So long as some string or fishing line is handy, it could easily be made in the field from improvised materials.

Take care gang and I’ll report back with once I try it in the field.

-Smokey

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:27:51 PM by Smokey Plainsman »

Offline Mike from OK

Re: Tow & Toggle
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 10:27:47 PM »
Pretty slick.

I am guessing that was someone's solution to a lost/broken tow worm. And you really don't even need the toggle... Just the tow and cord. Cut a toggle from any suitable tree while afield.

Mike

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:32:30 PM »
Pretty slick.

I am guessing that was someone's solution to a lost/broken tow worm. And you really don't even need the toggle... Just the tow and cord. Cut a toggle from any suitable tree while afield.

Mike

You’re right Mike, it appears the “toggle” could be dispensed with, but seems handy to wrap the string around for neat storage.

Offline Mike payne

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 12:55:47 AM »
I have used tow and toggle off and on for years. The only thing you have to be careful of when your tow is wet and dirty it can be pretty hard to pull out of the breach. So be sure you have some strong string!

Mike

Offline old george

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 03:19:29 AM »
That's a nifty idea :)

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »
Well done.
It would seem a good solution for guns with rods with no means by which to attach a wiper or worm. Also for when the rod is too short to hold on to well when the cleaning device is all the way to the breach.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 03:28:49 PM »
I think I am going to make one for the "poor boy" outfit I am working on. Thanks for posting that.

Dale H

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 07:56:10 AM »
I think I am going to make one for the "poor boy" outfit I am working on. Thanks for posting that.

Dale H

No problem, Dale H!