Author Topic: TN/KY Rifle Show Dilemma  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
TN/KY Rifle Show Dilemma
« on: March 25, 2020, 02:59:17 AM »
Randal Pierce asked if I would post this for him. ****I am sorry, he was asking about posting this and I thought he was asking me to post it. Randal is and has been an ALR  member and old forgetful here forgot it!
So Randal will be replying.****

Randal will answer your questions.
Thanks
Dennis

TN/KY Rifle Show Dilemma:

As we close in on April 17 & 18, (3 weeks away) and the COVID-19 virus is still roaring, we could just continue to wait and see if we can have the show.  However, we must be responsible and make a decision about having the show and it is not looking good as of today. We considered postponing the show until late September or early November, but there are no open dates for us that do not conflict with other shows during this time. Another consideration is to reschedule the show as early as possible after April 17.

We are open to your comments and suggestions.

Thank you,  Randal

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:51:48 AM by Ky-Flinter »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: TN/KY Rifle Show Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 03:58:17 AM »
Randal I will throw this out, is there a chance that if there is an open weekend in the schedule that something could be worked out at the old Appalachia Museum location? Other that being cramped I loved that location.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TNvol

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 04:18:44 AM »
Thanks, Dennis,

We can check and see if the Museum has any openings, good idea.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »
 Just to be clear, is the show canceled for Apr 17 & 18? Hotel reservation and such will need to be canceled.

Thanks, Tim

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 03:20:43 PM »
I was going to go to the show but after all the scare about the virus I am staying home.  People should take this virus very serious. Just my opinion.
iloco

Offline TNvol

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »
We hope we can have the show, we are in a "wait-and-see" period at this time.  A decision will be made by April 3, which will give a couple of weeks for the word to get around and cancel hotel reservations.  If the show happens to get cancelled, all money sent in to the show will be refunded.

Offline gibster

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 05:17:29 PM »
I would hate to see the show canceled, but in light of everything that is going on, I would understand. If there is any way to reschedule, I can assure you that I would do everything I can to be there. I agree with Dennis, the old location was a great place for the show with plenty to see and do besides just the show. Plus they had pretty good food on site. It was getting crowded, but still enjoyed it.

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 05:34:33 PM »
Tough times, but I would agree with Dennis, if you can have it at an alternate location and all of us can actually gather there it would be great to keep it on.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »
TN is as of today about the 14th in numbers of confirmed cases.  A "stay at home" order was issued yesterday for I think 14 days and public gatherings have been prohibited.  The state went from 1 or 2 cases around 3/2 to over 700 now.  This is not going to go away in 14 days.  But since I am wrong about most predictions I sincerely hope this one is wrong as well.  We will not attend.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 06:58:52 PM »
Just to be clear, is the show canceled for Apr 17 & 18? Hotel reservation and such will need to be canceled.

Thanks, Tim

I did not answer the question. Whenever it is held is fine with me, as far as the money goes hang onto mine an just tell where to go and when.

Tim

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:02:42 PM »
That parking lot idea doesn’t sound too bad now. Bring your own table, pop-up shade, & chairs and have at it in the parking lot somewhere.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Levy

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 07:48:20 PM »
I'm with Mr. Crosby concerning keeping my money until you can have the Show.  The virus is pretty bad in Florida (particularly in the southern part) and I think it will take more than a month to come to grips with it.  What if you could use the CLA Show date in mid-August if you can find a venue for it.  That way it wouldn't conflict with any more shows than the CLA Show did.  I think that by that time it should be diminishing.  James Levy 
James Levy

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 09:21:24 PM »
The CLA date in August has already been taken by the Front Royal KRA show.  I only hope that is not cancelled too.  This was only fair as CLA had taken their October date.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 10:53:44 PM »
"Statewide, Gov. Bill Lee has declared a state of emergency with schools to remain closed through at least April 24th. He ordered bars and restaurants to close and move to takeout and delivery only. That order also prohibits social gatherings of more than 10 people and closes gyms. Visits to nursing homes and retirement homes are limited to "essential care.""

And if it the show is in Knox County (I'm not sure of the county lines), they have now issued a Stay at Home order for the entire county.  The Museum of the Appalachians is closed through the end of April.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 03:53:17 AM »
  Like I stated on a different site. With the seriousness of this virus. I believe it would be wise to postpone the show. My whole state is on lockdown. This is a very serious issue. We have a lot of older folks in this hobby. Many are close friends..even if they live far away. I would not want to see any of you get this..
It can an will kill you.. All we would need is one person with it to walk in an presto...you have a serious issue...It takes up to 10 days for it to rule IT'S ugly head...   We need to think of everyone's safety at this time....Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 05:07:04 PM »
I don't watch much TV, ESPECIALLY  mainstream news. Was flippin channels last night trying to find some bad sci-fi and found a panel of experts discussing the sickness. I wasn't aware of this before, but it seems we are all going to die from this unless we stay inside the house. These experts also say that they expect this to go on through the summer with another round coming this fall with the next flu season..   Soooo....I would expect not to be going to any events of any kind this year. People are completely terrorized by this. There is complete insanity and terror in plain view on FB, most all the women that post there seem to think anyone that leaves their house is going to DIE.   Oddly, the farm community is still chugging away, there's a big fencing crew putting UP NEW fence on the next farm over. Haven't seen a field with new fence in 20 years around here, most of it is tore out. There is also a field being tiled a couple farms over. The crews don't seem to be practicing ANY of the CDC's distancing recommendations. If you go into the local grocery/lunch stand at noon you'll get mowed down by all the people that are still working around here. They aren't practicing social distancing either.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Molly

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »
And they are all going to DIE!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 12:57:13 AM »
And they are all going to DIE!
No, they won't. 80% of the cases are very mild. Around 5% require hospitalization and then usually the patient is 60+ and in compromised health. Gonna have to get this strain to become immune anyway, otherwise you're going to have to hide  in the house the rest of your life.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 04:19:13 AM »
I have O+ blood, and I took a lot of malaria pills in Vietnam.  So, maybe I'll be OK.  The malaria pills sure created a line the next day at the board and half barrel we had for a sh--er  at our compound.
NC has a mandatory stay at home order for the next 30 days starting this coming Monday.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 04:39:48 AM »
I have O+ blood, and I took a lot of malaria pills in Vietnam.  So, maybe I'll be OK.  The malaria pills sure created a line the next day at the board and half barrel we had for a sh--er  at our compound.
NC has a mandatory stay at home order for the next 30 days starting this coming Monday.
Jim, you and your family have had enough health issues over the past few years. I think Our Maker should give y’all a pass on this scourge!
Stop Marxism in America

WESTbury

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 02:07:04 PM »
According to the "CDC WEEKLY US INFLUENZA REPORT" for October through March 21st 2019 there have been 39 million cases of Influenza Types A & B in the US with 24,000 deaths, to include 194 children. These figures do not include the COVID 19 Flu.

Offline Molly

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
Yes," the flu" is bad stuff....but oh wait...there is a vaccine for the flu and millions of people take it.  Wonder what the mortality for "the flu" would be without a vaccine?  No vaccine for this virus.

WESTbury

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »
Molly,

Very accurate statement, there is no vaccine for COVID-19 yet, or cure.

Conversely, there is no cure for Type A or B Flu. There is a vaccine however, for some types of flu. Unfortunately, many people chose not to get it, thus 39 million cases in 13 weeks for Type A & B AND 24,000 dead.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 04:00:31 PM »
New York state reports an increase of 7131 cases in the past 24 hours.  Should that continue that comes to around 500,000 cases of record in 30 days.  A large part of the problem is in being able to handle that many sick people. One member of our shooting group works in the local hospital.  His first reaction based on all the buzz of the medical staff is that is was over blown hype.  And that was only about 10 day ago.  That was before any cases were reported and any deaths.  Suffice to say he does not feel the same today.  Population centers are going to have a real hard time.  Maybe those in the wild corn fields with more cows that neighbors (such as I) will not have a big problem.

But I cannot believe the show will go on, unfortunately.  Looks like we'll miss meeting Dennis in person once again.

MAS
Just think how high the number of peeps with the covid19 would be if they actually tested EVERYBODY in NY. Everybody talks about this virus like if you get it you're as good as dead, which is hardly the case.

Offline Molly

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
The data in that post was incorrect and I have removed it.  but the conclusion is still there.  Population centers will be flooded.  Medical personnel will be heavily impacted.  The ability to treat common illness will also be a consequence.  Hype or not it will be interesting to look back at this thread in a year or so and see which view proved to be correct.  I suspect some will look rather foolish.  BTW, I do not see the view that "most people" feel it will result in instant death.  IMO, "most people" see the inherent weakness in the ability to handle large numbers of patients from this AND other conditions.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:22:16 PM by Molly »