Author Topic: The Schools of the American Longrifle  (Read 5549 times)

Offline elkhorne

Re: The Schools of the American Longrifle
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 05:41:00 PM »
Ron,
Good catch, thanks. Interestingly the relative in the War of 1812, went on to become a Baptist minister in Alabama and then led a wagon train at age 80 from Alabama to Texas and passed away the next year at 81. Tough people back then, just pray we can be as tough in these times facing our country and the world with this virus. Prayers for our country and the world.
elkhorne

John Morris

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 06:40:45 AM »
Folks, I have read every reply here, and I want to thank you all, as usual it's been a-holes and elbows at my day job, and I have not been able to get on here much to reply to each, I want to come back this weekend and address and thank each one of you who replied, thanks so much!

John Morris

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2020, 07:24:20 AM »
...A rifle is a rifle because of the rifled barrels, a gun without rifling is called a Musket".

Is this correct? ...

Yes to a degree.  My take: "Musket" generally means early (and usually military) style, before rifling became prevalent. Back when most all guns were smoothbores the term musket fits. As rifling came into vogue, guns became known as much by their bore type as other characteristics: Smoothies, Rifles, Fowlers, and the kicker --smooth rifles (a gun that looks like a rifle (has rear sight usually and other characteristics) but no rifling in the bore.

Later smoothbores are generally called  Fowlers, or smoothies (or smooth rifles-if shaped like a rifle) rather than muskets.

What's the difference in a military musket and a civilian musket?  Not much, but the military gun will have bayonet and sling, whereas civilian guns may or may not have a sling and rarely have a bayonet. But that's getting way out of my area of studies.

Generally speaking Earlier guns were chunkier, larger in bore, and shorter in bbl.  Then as rifling changed the nature of the beast, bores got smaller, stocks became slimmer, and barrels got longer.   But that Fowling guns kept their bore size...and again--I'm running out of my schooling and will shaddup.  ;)

Carry on, you'll do well. The complications and nuances can be bewildering but that you're yet looking for the underlying structure, or framework. So don't get lost in details-yet.  There's plenty of time for that.

Wade, thanks a million for the clarifications, appreciate it greatly! I'll try not to get lost in the weeds, promise. :)

John Morris

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2020, 07:26:10 AM »
Hi John,
Be very careful about what you learn from You Tube.  There are a lot of pretty ignorant folks posing as "experts" on there and on other internet venues. 
dave         

Man aint that the truth! Thanks for that Dave, and thank for further clarification of the differences, I am learning!

John Morris

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2020, 07:28:26 AM »
John,
Welcome onboard to ALR! Another angle you might find a specific geographic interest for yourself to decide on a rifle school/ style/maker would be to explore your family history. You might be pleasantly surprised to find out you may have some notable historical figures in your family tree to tie to your rifle building. I did a couple of years ago and after several months of research, found my great great grandfather was an early rancher in Texas before statehood, a relative on my dad’s side of the family fought with Washington in the French and Indian War and American Revolution and a relative on my mother’s side was from Tennessee and fought with Stonewall Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. The records even showed a copy of his pension from the War of 1812. These re the types of things lurking in many of our families histories that are just waiting to be discovered. You very likely could find an ancestral relative to build your rifle around and even try to mirror their persona if you ever get into re-enacting. Just so,e more food for thought!
elkhorne

Thank you elkhorne, for the great advice, appreciate it! Most of my family came over from Ireland and Wales, settled in and around the north east and migrated to Illinois, perhaps I can find something in that area, I am enjoying this, thanks sir!