General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

We shooting regular?

(1/5) > >>

Roger Fisher:
I'll be pc and ask are we/you shooting at organized shoots on regular basis.. Do you have your calendars marked each weekend where you will go to shoot?

Simpler way to ask:   How many regular organized shoots have you shot in since say May 1st (08).   

I'm curious (read nosey) to see how many on this board do such regular.. 

Roger Fisher:

--- Quote from: roundball on August 01, 2008, 06:32:10 PM ---I for one have never shot any sort of organized shoot...however I usually shoot a range session every weekend year round except during hunting seasons.
Either just for the enjoyment of it, or for serious practice, experimenting with something, chronographing something, pattern testing a different shot load, etc...for example, I had today off from work went to the range at first light, will go again tomorrow morning...but its just me by myself at a little informal range.

--- End quote ---
I do believe that we will find a majority that do exactly as you do.  I wonder if you don't miss the competition???  That drives me!  In particular if I get my act together and beat a bunch of young pups!  Actually pretty near all of them are 'younger'! ;D

Otter:
Zero . . . for various reasons. Most of the "shoots" in this part of the country are a fair skip from my home and they are primarily "woods walk" type of events, which are hardly worth getting the ML dirty. Before we moved here, I attended and participated in at least 6 "formal" competitive ML shoots per year as well as monthly "informal" club shoots. I don't miss the "competition" per se, but do miss hanging with like-minded folks more often. I am not the best shooter but did hold my own, either winning, placing or showing in 40% to 50% of the "formal" shoots.

I do, however, do as roundball does and get to the range on at least a semi-regular basis (once or twice a month). The gun club I'm in is comprised of mostly either magnum oriented modern CF shooters, older military weapon shooters or modern IL ML shooters. There are a few of us that shoot sidelocks and BP CF guns. It is enjoyable to go to the range and make a lot of smoke by myself and "fine tune" my guns without interruption by the big bang guns. I have the fortune of working for myself from home, so if it is a good day to go shooting, I go. Unfortunately, the hot season has arrived and I am less inclined to go in the heat. Yesterday was about 98* F, though, and I did spend over 4 hours at the range - lost about 10 pounds.

Daryl:
1 only - our local rendezvous.  Hefley Creek is coming up soon and that is the only other BP shoot I attend. I do, however try to shoot every week, at least once, sometimes 3 or 4 times. Some others in town go to the Fort McMurray shoot, but it was on the same weekend as ours this year.  The Ft. McMurray guys are a great bunch and are the centre of attraction at times, at Hefley Creek. Last year they put up a 'Shooter Bar'(the other kind), $1.00 per shot - some of the folks had too many 'shots' ;D. This bar was well received. It is incredible how much refreshment they bring - working in the oil patch, etc, there seems to be no shortage of cash.

BrownBear:
I shoot a bare minimum of 100 shots a week and usually top 200.  But none on a public range.  That's an hour away, and the only ML shoots are several days and over $1000 in plane fares away.  There's about half a dozen of us that shoot together regular, but no dues beyond loser buying coffee, no meetings, and no rules beyond stringent safety precautions.  Real peaceful like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version