Author Topic: primer or day horn  (Read 2941 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
primer or day horn
« on: July 31, 2009, 03:36:12 AM »
Just finish this little horn, it's a Buffalo horn i could only save about what you see approx 6 inches it was do for the garbage then this friend of mine called me up to know if i wanted them he had them in the garage for 15 years or so. I should be able to save a bit more on the other one .
Just made some flats and added a butt plug that is hallowed out . I wanted to make a primer horn but it's big enough for at least 300 Gr's Would make a nice little half powder horn to carry in the bag .I still have time to change my idea. The tip is only pressed in. Any advice to fix it up a bit would be appreciated and comments also
Mille merci
Denis
Denis

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: primer or day horn
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 03:50:13 AM »
Denis,

This is a real nice little horn. I always like the ones where the whole horn is 6 or 8 sided. If it were me, whether you are going to use it as a primer or a day horn, I would ditch the little brass valve and replace it with a wooden spout stopper.  I think I actually hate those little spring loaded brass primer tips.  Might have something to do with me being dedicated to being as historically correct as possible.  You might say I am one of those guys who pushes the HC/PC envelope.  I am fortunate that the guys I run with are also very HC/PC and always striving to be better.

Randy Hedden
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:51:20 AM by Randy Hedden »
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:16:28 AM »
Denis,
The only comment I would make is to leave it alone, or change the spout. I think it is a dandy little day horn. The work is very well executed.
Mark
Mark

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:32:34 AM »
thanks guy's just neede a little push. Bye bye valve will make a nice little spout stopper maybe a piece of deer antler , hey.
Denis
Denis

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »
thanks guy's just neede a little push. Bye bye valve will make a nice little spout stopper maybe a piece of deer antler , hey.
Denis

Good idea. Good looking horn, nice job.

Tim C.