Author Topic: Mullerbuchse/Jaeger Wheellock  (Read 1826 times)

Offline helwood

Mullerbuchse/Jaeger Wheellock
« on: March 25, 2020, 03:11:07 AM »
This is a project started back in '97.  The inspiration for this was from an October article by George Shumway in Muzzle Blasts.  It is a Shoulder Jaeger Wheeellock by Elias Schnitzel of Berlin working in the Court of Frederick Wilhelm I from 1679-1711.  The Lock started out as a German Cheek Wheellock from The Rifle Shoppe No. 535.  I altered it to be more inline with the renaissance of using the wheellock mechanism from ballpark time of 1690's-1710's.  The locks took on features of the more modern Flintlocks.  I remade the chain because the castings were a little light so I made the link from Flat Spring stock and the Pins from W1 drill stock.  I reshaped the tail of the lock and beveled the edges.  The finial on the Dog Spring didn't come out right so my neighbor welded some 1018 on and I tried my hand at metal carving.  This was all back in '97.  Been sitting waiting until 2018 to get started again, other projects.  The stock was from Warren Adair very nice piece of Walnut plenty wide.  Hand inlet using Jack Brooks' tech.  The Buttplate started out as an Edward Marshall by Jim Chambers then I added more brass and carved the serpent.  The Box Lid was made as a one piece technique.  The Side Plate and Thumb Piece were hand fabricated from .09" Sheet Brass.  I tried my hand with Chasing on these to pieces.  The Set Triggers were altered from Davis triggers so they would trip a Horizontal Sear. The Pipes were hand fabricated from .09" sheet brass then filed to shape.  The Muzzle Cap was made in the one piece technique.  The front sight was a two piece fabrication.  The Antler Flask I made in '07-'08.  It's been a fun project.

upload pictures online

Offline Goo

Re: Mullerbuchse/Jaeger Wheellock
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 03:32:32 AM »
Nice things take time a master piece takes since 97,. Kudos!!!!
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 04:10:09 AM »
Thanks so much for posting this amazing piece, Hank!  Incredible work and craftsmanship.  Just the lock alone is a project, not to mention the side plate and butt piece!  A wonderful representation of a “Grandfather” to our Longrifle.  Thanks again!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 05:38:35 AM »
That is one special bit of workmanship.  What a lovely gun.  Exceedingly well done.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 07:26:00 AM »
Hank, I can't top what Ed said, you do fantastic, meticulous work.  I am glad to see you posted the finished gun - I was amazed watching you work on that sideplate in Bowling Green!  Has the weather cleared up enough for you to go out and shoot it yet?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 02:07:21 PM »
Hi,
Wonderful inspiring piece, Hank!  The butt plate and side plate alone are jaw dropping beautiful not to mention the rest of the gun.  Thanks for posting the photos.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »
OUTSTANDING craftsmanship.So much very German that I can smell the Wurst and Kartoffel
on it ;D.
Bob Roller

Offline heinz

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 05:09:38 PM »
Well done!
kind regards, heinz

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 05:13:23 PM »
Really beautiful work!  But - what is the triangular object in the last pic?  Really curious, and I believe I have seen a similar object in he past, but cannot recall what it is.  Thanks!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 07:26:44 PM »
I'm so glad you took the time to complete this rifle.  What an accomplishment!  Congratulations and kudos to you.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:47:02 PM »
Super nice wheellock rifle ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 09:48:22 PM »
I would call that rifle, a masterpiece.
Thanks for posting it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline helwood

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »
First let me Thank all of you for your kind thoughts and words it means a lot to me.
Craig asked the question about what was the triangular object in the last photo.  Technically it is called a Pulverflasche/Powder flask.  The main body holds the Powder for the bore.  The small right lower arm with a spout holds the powder for the pan.  And the left lower cap is actually a Spanner to wind the lock before firing.  That was kind of handy, it was easy to loose your regular spanner and this ones stays with your Powder flask.  I had the oppertunity to make it at the NMLRA classes in Bowling Green.  Bob Elka and Joe Valentin taught a Horn Class Bob taught making Cow Horn, Horns and Joe European Schools.  In the class Joe showed us how to fabricate the brass ends and how to use the classic Silver Solders Easy-1,240deg.F, Medium-1,275deg.F, and Hard-1,365deg.F.  Also introduced me to Yellow Silver Solder (RioGrande No. 132-201) that is very nice for making or repairing your Brass parts.  The second year was the carving of the Antler.  The design was inspired from a great book, Master French Gunsmiths' Design. It was fun to make but as Ed said this is Grandparents tech.  I think the use of the Cow Horn is a more practical method of carrying your powder.     Thanks, Hank

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 11:16:44 PM »
Hank, another fine piece that you have made there. Thanks for sharing your work.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 04:00:26 PM »
I guess you could call that the multi-tool of the day.  Your work on it is superb, and matches the work done of the firearm.  Many thanks for the explanation, but now I seem to have to make one of my own.

I've used a lot of the various silver solders, and even the yellow one - have some in my tool drawer.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.