Author Topic: Pipe Hawk  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Pipe Hawk
« on: April 03, 2020, 07:36:24 PM »
 I made this up for Bob McBride. The head is Bronze either R.E. Davis or Reeves Goehring I don't remember. It is 6 1/4", the haft is 19 1/4" poured Pewter and inlaid Brass, cleanout plug is horn and is threaded.

Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

Re: Pipe Hawk
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 07:39:13 PM »
I bet Bob is going to be really happy.  Beautiful work Tim.  That finish on the bronze is fascinating.  Well done.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 07:46:05 PM »
Nice!  You sure do a fine job on everything you touch, Tim!

I’m gonna have to get on the bandwagon and make one...I have a piece of 15/16” gun barrel about 6” long that should make a good one. Time to fire up the forge, I reckon!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 12:21:29 AM »
Very impressive.   I always have always had a hard time fitting the handle nice and tight.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 12:50:11 AM »
It’s gorgeous Tim, just like I knew it would be. I love it. Don’t waste any time getting it in the mail. I’ve got some smoking to do!  ;)

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 02:28:15 AM »
Nice ax Tim, looks like a Reeves head.

If you want to keep a head on a pipe ax tight or tight as possible use a leather gasket. I have found out that the leather is spongy enough to keep the head fairly tight year around.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 08:18:04 AM »
Nice ax Tim, looks like a Reeves head.

If you want to keep a head on a pipe ax tight or tight as possible use a leather gasket. I have found out that the leather is spongy enough to keep the head fairly tight year around.

I usually take a thin piece of raw hide soak it then flatten it more with a hammer and slide the head down over it then drill the hole and trim the gasket. This one was so tight I could not get the raw hided in between the two.

Tim

Offline heinz

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 09:35:13 PM »
Great pipe ax Tim!
kind regards, heinz