Author Topic: Glue for attaching buffalo horn?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Glue for attaching buffalo horn?
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:11:31 AM »
Hey guys. I'm at the point of attaching a piece of water buffalo horn for a half-stock nosecap.
I inlet a tab on the front of the piece to hold it in the stock securely.
What glue/epoxy would you suggest I use, and what would you use to clean the inletting black off the horn to make sure it sticks properly?
Thank you.

Offline snapper

Re: Glue for attaching buffalo horn?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:30:59 AM »
Are you going to have some screws holding it on?  I dont necessary mean to screw it on, but drill some holes that are over sized with the cut off screws in the holes.  I have done only a few of these, but I have used the 2 ton epoxy.   None have come off yet.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 01:40:38 AM »
Clean them with lacquer thinner. I also use a good epoxy or Acragel with black dye. Never use Gorilla Glue, it will leave a visible line.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 01:52:48 AM »
I forgot to mention the black dye.  I to use the dye out or the acragel package for the 2 ton epoxy.

fleener

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 02:08:55 AM »
Are you going to have some screws holding it on?  I dont necessary mean to screw it on, but drill some holes that are over sized with the cut off screws in the holes.  I have done only a few of these, but I have used the 2 ton epoxy.   None have come off yet.

Fleener
Are you talking about something similar to the screw that you put on to capture a barrel key?

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 03:04:10 AM »
You can always use hot hide glue or even Knox gelatin as glue.
Good stuff and easier cleanup than epoxy.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 03:15:26 AM »
I just put one on. I used clear epoxy dyed with black dye that Brownell's sells to use with Acra-Glas. I drilled two 1/16 holes into the cap and put in two steel pins that I use for pinning the barrel to the stock. I drilled two corresponding holes in the stock, put the epoxy on the cap and drove it on. I also used lacquer thinner to clean the cap before gluing.

Offline Ghillie

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 03:32:48 AM »
I used to build fishing  rods.  All sizes from light weight trout rods to offshore trolling rods.  A little know fact, except for rod builders is that excess epoxy can be cleaned off with just regular isopropyl alcohol.  I've used gallons of it over the years and never had an excess epoxy problem to worry about.  Simple cleanup and cheap.

Offline snapper

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 03:41:44 AM »
It should never be a problem, but the screws will offer more a bite on the epoxy then a nail would.   If you use a rod or nail, I hit it with a file to make some gouges in it for the same reason.

Fleener

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 04:37:30 AM »
I used to build fishing  rods.  All sizes from light weight trout rods to offshore trolling rods.  A little know fact, except for rod builders is that excess epoxy can be cleaned off with just regular isopropyl alcohol.  I've used gallons of it over the years and never had an excess epoxy problem to worry about.  Simple cleanup and cheap.

We used to bed at least a half dozen bolt actions a week. We kept a gallon of vinegar in the shop to do clean up.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 03:30:43 PM »
You can always use hot hide glue or even Knox gelatin as glue.
Good stuff and easier cleanup than epoxy.
I haven't glued horn to wood yet. I have used epoxy on ebony nose caps. I would use hide glue if I was going to glue horn to wood. Knox gelatin is hide glue. Hide glue is basically the same collagen as horn.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 07:31:35 PM »
I think I'll do the cut off screws for extra grip, and black dyed epoxy. I happen to have epoxy and acraglas dye.  I'm all out of Knorr  gelatin. I used the last of it yesterday morning making fruit gummies.

Joe S

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 08:33:01 PM »
Isinglass would be the historically correct glue for a high end gun, like the one you're building.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 12:29:36 AM »
Would Zippo lighter fluid work well at removing the inletting black, or do I need to go buy a can of lacquer thinner?