Author Topic: Canadian Border Crossing Rifle  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Canadian Border Crossing Rifle
« on: March 27, 2020, 05:56:32 AM »
Last summer I posted a request for information on requirements to ship an antique longrifle across the border, from Canada back to the States. A number of people were helpful, and the rifle eventually arrived down here. The gun is an early rifle made in Kentucky, where I collect, research, and specialize. The gun is an important find; it is [in my "humble" opinion] the finest known example of the newly discovered "Clark County School" of rifle making in Kentucky. The rifle has a full family provenance behind it, from its original owner in Montgomery County, Kentucky down to the present day, and a couple of interesting stories about how it was used at different times in its life.

One intriguing issue is the ignition system. The family said the gun was originally flint and had been converted to percussion later. Close inspection of the lock shows it to be a replacement for an original, very short lock that was probably flint. But note the very short nose on both the front and rear side-facings, and the rear side-plate. I had Frank House look at it for an opinion on if it was originally flint...because if so, it was a very small lock, with a short nose. He thought it might have been an early pill lock, which has a short nose, and used for a few years and then replaced with a more reliable percussion lock. A pill lock would be odd in Kentucky, but the first owner was a well-to-do medical doctor, so perhaps it could have been built that way. But early Bluegrass rifles in KY generally have small locks, often pistol size, so maybe there was an early lock that was small enough to fit this rifle. The gun has a pick inlay on the bottom of the toe with a hole over an inch and a half deep, also suggesting the gun was originally flint. So while we continue to figure this rifle out, I thought you may enjoy seeing what was such a pain in the butt late last year to get back across the border to where it belongs. Barrel is 47-1/2 inches with .33-ish bore. Barrel is signed on silver plate "L. Harmon," probably Lewis Harmon of Clark County. It's one great Kentucky-made rifle!

Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:13:42 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Canadian Border Crossing Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »
Very nice rifle, thanks for posting photos.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 02:09:38 AM »
Shelby,

Great rifle - I like it.

Buck

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 03:40:03 AM »
  Beautiful patch box.. Thanks for showing...

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 04:31:06 AM »
Perfect! Thanks for sharing!!!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 08:56:42 AM »
Shelby, I'm with you on this. I can't see how it could have ever been a flintlock. There isn't much room for one. It seems to be a rather common thing for people to 'want to enhance' old guns with stories of how they had been flintlock, or have this history, or that history. I have seen percussion, half stocked 'plain's rifles described as having once been flint when there was no evidence whatsoever indicating that might have been true. This is a beautiful rifle made  by a master of the craft, who excelled in his gun building. Glad that it is back home in Kentucky and good on you for getting it!
Dick

Offline VP

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 03:59:33 PM »
Shelby,

Great find, beautiful rifle,  excited to hear about the Clark County School. Your research and books are such great references. Keep up the good work.

VP