Author Topic: Which size lock?  (Read 2399 times)

Offline FALout

Which size lock?
« on: March 28, 2020, 04:17:15 AM »
As I’m finishing up my current project, I’m looking into my next one(always doing that)I have a colerain 40 cal A weight barrel and a cherry stock waiting to be made into a Lehigh rifle.  Since most of the pics I have show German style locks, I’m leaning toward Chambers Silers (large and small) and the Golden age lock.  I’m looking for help on lock size for such a style rifle and using this barrel.  I tried comparing pics to known size of these locks, but don’t want too small or too large even though these 3 locks are fairly close in height, just mostly varying in length.  One hand the small Siler could look to be correct proportion, but a larger one could help make stock look slimmer (if kept slim in height).  Maybe I’m over thinking this.  Hopefully someone has some insight.
Bob

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Which size lock?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 05:04:42 AM »
The M&G classic is a good candidate.  Very close to a small Siler, but the nose is a little longer, and more graceful.  Bolster is a little thicker, so keeps the width at the lock panels nice and wide.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:20:08 PM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 05:34:16 AM »
    I second what smallpatch said. I used the M&G lock on a 13/16 barrel, it looked very nice and added a little width between lock and side plate panels and the wrist.    Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 07:04:05 AM »
A little bigger is always better than a little smaller (within reason).  A "tall" lockplate will make the gun look slimmer than the exact same gun with a narrower lockplate.  Believe me.  ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 08:33:42 AM »
A little bigger is always better than a little smaller (within reason).  A "tall" lockplate will make the gun look slimmer than the exact same gun with a narrower lockplate.  Believe me.  ;)

I have done this also.  The taller lock makes the forearm and wrist appear slimmer. But I thought the lock area looked a little bulky.     Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 07:49:00 PM »
I’m leaning toward the lg Siler lock, never had an issue with them and the more I look at the barrel it seems about right.  This barrel has a breach end that is around .950”
Bob

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 08:39:27 PM »
It's a little large in my opinion.  The barrel above is .937.  The M&G is about right.
Up to you!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 09:14:23 PM »
Several choices. Large siler , M&G classic and Dale Johnson. You often   see the later ones with a lock similar to Chambers late ketland. The larger locks are fine, you push them up past the center line anyway, they ride real high on the barrel....'usually".
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 11:19:52 PM »
I agree w/ Mike on using a Dale Johnson or a  Late Ketland….the 2 LRs shown have  "B" weight bbls {1" at the breech} and  the locks  are  mounted high on the bbls. The top LR is a Lancaster w/ a Dale Johnson and the bottom is a Bucks County w/ a Late Ketland…...Fred

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 05:33:33 PM »
With that size barrel I would use a small Siler.

This rifle by Don King has what would be at least a "C" weight and a small Siler. Sorry for the lousy photo. Lock has some really nice engraving. Wish i had the rifle back...

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 12:05:55 AM »
Aesthetically, I've always liked the effect of larger locks on the overall rifle.  Plus I've had better reliability with larger as opposed to smaller locks.  I have a SMR with a small Siler but it's a tiny rifle.  Another one has a late Ketland that looks great.  Other than a pistol all the rest have large locks.  Of course this can be taken too far. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline heinz

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 01:34:30 AM »
This is a Rice b weight with a Chambers colonial.  It goes of in the rain.

kind regards, heinz

Offline FALout

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 02:04:47 AM »
Well in between wrapping up some projects, I kept looking at cutout photocopy’s against the barrel/layout, Im leaning toward the Dale Johnson version of the Siler because of the slight arch at the bottom of the lock plate.  Can’t say I’ve seen any pics of Lehighs with round faced locks.
Bob

Offline heinz

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 03:33:52 AM »
I was not suggesting a round faced lock.  I was offering an extreme example on size.  I don't think you see many iron mounted Lehighs either.
kind regards, heinz

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 04:28:01 PM »
What (and by whom) is the M & G classic lock I have seen praised in recent posts?  The one shown by Smallpatch above, looks like Chambers Golden Age.
Tom C.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 04:39:12 PM »
Larry Zornes makes it.

This one by Zornes would be interesting to use too.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 04:41:37 AM »
I just got that earlier Zornes lock.  It's actually pretty nice.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."