Author Topic: New to Me!  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
New to Me!
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
Last night I was doing a little scraping on the fore arm of my current build but was not satisfied with the quality of the finish.  The wood felt rough to me.  Regardless of how well I filed and burnished the edge of the scraper the scraped surface still felt rough. 

Then I had a brain-blast!  Rough edge yields rough surface!  So I pulled out the diamond plate sharpeners that Dave Price talked me into buying (Thank you Dave, they are worth the money!) and I ground down the edge of my scraper with the diamond plates rather than a file.  After polishing the edge with the extra fine plate I burnished the edge with my burnishing rod and tried the scraper again.  Holy Guacamole, what a difference! 

I suppose if I were smarter I would have reasoned earlier that the finer the finish on the scraper the finer the scraped finish.  But......well, you all understand, I hope.

I just thought I would share this little revelation so that any other slow learners out there like me won't have to wait umpteen years to figure this little thing out.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: New to Me!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »
Well now John boy - I better write that down               ---------somewhere ::)

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 07:40:51 PM »
Sounds like I'm not the only one with brain !@#$%. ;D

NSBrown

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
Thanks..I intend to re-edge my scrapers when I get home today...you just gave me what I call "a flat forehead moment"...thanks again. Duh.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 08:16:08 PM »
John,

Just goes to show, when it comes to cutting tools, sharper is always better.