Author Topic: A Couple of Bag Knives  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
A Couple of Bag Knives
« on: March 29, 2020, 10:31:38 PM »
Here are a couple of bag knives that I made.  I just finished the top knife.   I think I have shared the one at the bottom before.   These were made for my personal outfits.   The top knife is for an 18th century early VA bag and horn.   The bottom knife is for an 19th century southern mountain bag with a S.W. VA horn.

Both knives have blades that are about 4 1/2" long, have white tail antler handles, and poured pewter bolsters.   The top knife was forged from 1095 and the bottom from 1075.   Unfortunately, the top knife developed a small crack down the center line of the tang after hardening.   I didn't notice it until the handle was riveted on.   I don't think it will affect its serviceability. 

Offline Kevin

Re: A Couple of Bag Knives
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:01:45 AM »
Good Evening Mark,

Those are some sharp lookin' knives that I would be proud to carry.

Take Care,
Kevin

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 03:15:08 AM »
Fine looking knives sir!

Years back I had one similar to the top one with the more pronounced curve of the handle. But it didn't hold a candle to these.

Mike

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
Nice knives Mark. I really like the blade shapes on both, they look like useful designs. I’m partial to the bottom one, though...that butcher style blade is about perfect for a hunting knife.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson