Author Topic: What is this double gun?  (Read 1685 times)

Gazz

What is this double gun?
« on: October 08, 2021, 04:00:01 PM »
New guy here.
A few years back I bought this at an estate auction and got a good deal (I think) as it was described poorly in the catalog.  It is heavy at about 10 pounds and has nearly 30" long barrels with smooth bores about .575" id.  Seems to heavy to be primarily a shotgun but I suppose it would work as one although a bit ponderous.  The trigger guard and the crescent butt also do not seem to indicate a shotgun.  I am thinking it is some kind of plains rifle intended for use on large game like buffalo, elk or grizzly bear.  There are no markings on it and the springs that power the locks are interesting being basically straight and dovetailed into the lock plate. What do you folks think?

Offline snapper

Re: What is this double gun?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 04:34:50 PM »
Interesting double.

Any markings under the barrels?

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »
I’m thinking backup for grizzly bear.
Andover, Vermont

Offline albert

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 11:55:49 PM »
That's an interesting mainspring , is the plate a little thicker where the dovetail is cut in ? That design would make the spring easier to make .
j albert miles

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 01:35:12 AM »
Very good looking gun and that trigger guard is great.The lock is a most interesting type and the tumbler rotating past the forward bridle support is the first of this type I have ever seen.
Bob Roller

ghostdncr

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 02:19:56 AM »
A lovely double! Knew I'd seen a similar mainspring before and it took some looking, but here it is. The lock mechanism from Lewis and Clark's Girandoni airgun:

Quite a different method of mounting the spring to the plate, though.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 03:02:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Appears, therefore might be a ball and shot gun - restocked at some time in the 20th century.
The trigger guard also does not "fit" the "design" of a shot-gun, just as the butt does not as well.
The walls of the muzzle are very thick for a shotgun as well.
Is there any indication on the rib of ever having a rear sight?
I am as curious as Fleener as to markings on the bottom side of the barrels.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 05:09:41 PM »
Lacking a rear sight, would imply this was designed to be a shotgun, but the rifle architecture, and rifle hardware are puzzling.

Hungry Horse

Offline elee

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 05:28:56 PM »
Interesting gun. While this is purely a guess, I think the architecture and metal work point to upstate New York. The gun has a similar "look" to work by B.C. Wood of Painted Post, N.Y., who made alot of doubles with one rifled barrel and one smooth barrel, as well as drillings. There were some very innovative makers in that area in the late percussion period, and the unadorned metal work combined with fancy trigger guard were common there. The hammers are particularly reminiscent of that area. Just a thought....I could be way of base.
   ELee

Gazz

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 06:51:29 PM »
Thank you all for the comments!
I did check under the barrels and whadayakno, I found some.  There is a, W somewhat italicized almost looking like the Winchester W and, a P with longer serifs especially the bottom or foot of the letter.  Also a couple of witness marks for the breech plugs.  A picture is forthcoming.

Gazz

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »
Pic of the under barrels.

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 05:52:58 AM »
I think its a double smooth rifle. Realizing it doesnt have a rear sight I think a gun like this would be adequately accurate for hunting out to 50-75 yards. A sturdy double gun like this would have been at home shooting bear in the NE or big game hunting generally in a lot of places. Nice gun

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 04:20:30 PM »
Some of the very first locks I made had a single leaf mainspring fastened to  a block and held with a scew and a half dovetail.The block was held to the plate by 2 hidden rivets.I used the idea and copied it from P.I.Spence in Marietta,Ohio. I met him when he was 97 in 1957 and he gave me a big sheet of annealed 1075 spring steel that barely fit into the trunk of my car which was a 1952 Packard with a big trunk.Mr.Spence made locks,triggers and adjustable rear sights and sold them thru the gun shop of E.M.Farris,one of the founders of the NMLRA.That was 64 years ago.
Bob Roller