Author Topic: Primer Flask and Measure  (Read 3373 times)

DEADDAWG

Primer Flask and Measure
« on: July 31, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »
As has been asked to post up accoutrements that we use or have made. Here is a set I made for a friend who is just getting back into shooting BP after a long hiatus. They're made from a piece of elk antler I had laying around.

I am currently working on a large diameter piece of main beam for a salt horn. I plan on using walnut or maple for the end caps. I'll post pictures when I finish it.

Rick

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Primer Flask and Measure
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:12:41 PM »
Deaddawg,
Glad you reposted your pictures.  great looking work.  Your friend should be a very happy one. 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »
They're made from a piece of elk antler I had laying around.
Those out west are fortunate to have these resources just laying around on the ground.  I was on a backpacking trip with the family outside of Cody, around Sun Mountain.  Going in, I found a huge antler that had just been dropped within days and decided I just had to have it.  After making the climb and having several more days ahead of me, I decided I really didn't need it that bad.   ;)
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

DEADDAWG

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 12:11:27 AM »
My neighbor and a couple buddies go bow hunting out west for elk each year for a week, their wives take off for Bermuda the same week, so I babysit their house and dog while they're gone. So he bribgs me back 3 or 4 elk sheds and a bunch of muley sheds each year that he gets from the outfitter they use. Of course, he benefits too. I've made him a set of grips for his Government model 1911 and his Ruger Black Hawk and a nice forged knife with elk slabs. Last year I sent an elk handled knife & sheath I made along with him for his outfitter. They got the best of everything while they were there and I got a 7 point shed that went over 2 1/2 inch diameter on the main beam along with other antlers. I've only got about 400 pounds of antler laying around the house, drives the wife crazy. One of these days, I'm going to learn how to scrimshaw so I can do up some of this polished antler.

Rick

Ky Ken

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:10:51 AM »
I what to be your freind ;D ;D ;D. Very nice

Leatherbelly

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:45:49 AM »
  Nice stuff! Hey,ya gotta try moose antler and shin bone. Antler is solid and dense(makes nice starter handles). Seldom if ever porous. Shin bone looks as good as ivory when carved or whittled.  Haha,you also need a co-operative moose. ;D