Author Topic: Vice  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Ats5331

Vice
« on: March 30, 2020, 05:12:41 PM »
Hi all,

Hope all are well during this time.

Quick question, what does everyone use to protect stocks from the Vice putting marks on the it?

Been experimenting with different material, but not really getting the results I would like.

Thanks!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Vice
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 05:18:28 PM »
I use a guitar makers vice now but have used pine board covered in a few layers of 8/9 leather. Worked fine.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 05:19:22 PM »
For quite a while, I used a regular bench vise with some wood replacing the sharp, steel faces.  Now I have a different vise, a pattern maker's vise.  It comes with wooden cheek pieces that have a rubber or urethane face, makes gripping and holding a snap.  Both vise faces can be angled separately, and the whole vise pivots around a 3/4" threaded rod.
Many places carry them; I got mine through Grizzly.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
This the one I use. Same basically as Craig. Sorry about the dark pic. Powers still down from the storms.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 05:49:01 PM »
Here is what I came up with. I have two parrot vises mount on bench with slides to adjust for length. I have and octagon tube screwed to the butt and a wooden dowel driven into muzzle. This has worked the best for me. I have one of those Woodcraft vises and its nice but I like my set up because I don't clamp on the stock at all after I have cut the stock down. With the octagon butt tube I can put stock is any position I want.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 06:32:11 PM »
Pretty nifty sliding device there - do you use the same type of stop mechanism under the vise as you do on the bench part of the slide?
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »
I cut pads out of 3/8" thick rubber conveyor belting for pads for my machinist's vice.  You can clamp a finished and chequered stock in it without damage.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Jim Evans

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 06:57:07 PM »
Pine wood and a computer mouse pad.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 07:00:55 PM »
I use leather covered wood.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 07:30:52 PM »
Craig,

What I have is like a Reese hitch under my bench with bolts to lock the 2 inch tubing slides in place. I have the same on the extenders that vises are sliding in. My bench is a 4' X 8' steel table with the Resse type hitch underneath the top on all 4 corners and one about two feet from the end. I have all my vises, reloading presses, leather sewing machines and other assorted stuff with a two inch tube mounted to them. I can switch out any easily by loosening a couple of bolts. I have about a foot of travel on the tubes so I can adjust close to bench or far away. I use 2.5 inch 3/16" wall square tube for the socket and 2 inch tube for the vises and presses. My table doesn't move around either being made for 8" I-beam and 1/2' plate top. My welding table in my workshop is made the same way so I can add or remove vises when I need to.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 11:25:26 PM »
577,  what part of that keeps from marring the wood?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Frank

Offline Jerry

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 12:09:27 AM »
I use thick felt pads glued to cut out 1/4 “ plywood in my old Brownells Versa Vice. Jerry

Offline xx54

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 12:25:16 AM »
I use pieces of rubber mining belt which is about 3/8" or so thick. I just cut a square in them so that they drop down over the bottom of the vice, but still high enough to extend up to the top of the jaws. I also have a stick with a cross piece top on it covered in soft leather. The whole thing looks like a crutch. I just stick it under the stock and give it a kick with my foot. This supports the stock and barrel while I knock off wood with a rasp or any carving that I may want to do. I would get 2 sheets of rubber about 6" square which would work just fine.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 02:13:54 AM »
Dane the stock doesn't go in my vises after I have barrel installed. I use plywood vise jaws when working with a blank or precarve. The Woodcraft vise would be a good one to use if you are going to put a shaped stock in a vise.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 03:34:26 AM »
I use a pattern makers vise with plywood on the jaws that is covered in leather
Rob

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 02:18:07 PM »
Hi,
Drinking scotch could be called a "vice" but something to hold a gun while working on it is called a "vise".  I use pattern makers vises that have wooden jaws covered with leather. I also have 2 wooden leg vises also lined with leather. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 03:27:54 PM »
Drinking Scotch isn't a vice its surviving.
Scotch braiche fada beò!
Rob

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »
Dave, I was tempted, believe me!  Not going to enumerate my vices, but I have a nice machinist vise, a X- and Y- coordinated drill press vise, and of course my gunmaker's vise.
Not being a drinker, I will leave all the Scotch to you.
Craig Wilcox

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 06:31:59 PM »
This is what I use in my vices. The one on the right is simply a cut piece of carpet. The two on the left are pieces of plywood with a leather face. They also have a triangular (cross section) strip of wood glued across the center that allows the plywood to pivot with an irregular shaped section of the stock.

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline bptactical

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 03:15:10 AM »
I have 3 vise's that I use frequently depending on the task. I have a set of the original Zyliss vise' that are handy for long and light work. I have a Woodcraft pattern vise and then I have a Yost "Mechanics" vise with a tilting head.
I also have 2 mill vise's, a Kurt and a Bridgeport but they are pretty specific to the Bridgeport. I also have 2 small precision vise's for small machine projects.
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
I for one like to use a vise on a vise.  About 30 years ago, I built a real nice Scandinavian workbench.  Never, bang directly on it, always use a piece of scrap board as a backer when using a chisel or anything else that might scar up the surface.  Now I don't baby it and from time to time it gets a little light sanding, scraping and a little linseed oil.  So, when I bought and start using a gun vise from Woodcrafters, I didn't want to drill another hole in the bench so I made up a base for it and just lock it in the shoulder vise.  Made a crutch for support on the non-working end that fits into a dog hole.
In my engraving room, I have a Emmeret "Turtle Back" Pattern Makers vise.  Look them up on Youtube.  They are extremely versatile.  And as you can see, I currently have a small metal vise on that for working small gun parts.  Only your imagination will limit what vises, holders, etc you add on top of anything.

tumi nirmal karo lyrics in english
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 10:19:07 PM »
In my case;
Plastic cutting boards  , baler belting, and plywood all get used at times.