Author Topic: Octagon to round barrels with rifling  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Octagon to round barrels with rifling
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:37 PM »
Folks, in flipping through the literature that I have I see only a couple of originals with octagon to round barrels that included rifling.  How prevalent of a feature do you think it was?

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Octagon to round barrels with rifling
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:32:12 PM »
Maybe 1 in 50 of octagon to round barrels on rifle-built guns had rifling with a twist. Just a guess.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:55:38 PM »
Here's one (although not an original, so to speak).

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 01:22:15 AM »
I just finished a Octagon to Round Beck gun that is #98 in the RCA Book.  Reading the description of this gun it was very interesting that it was a .57 cal and had STRAIGHT rifling!  So being a bit anal and wanting be keep my builds as historically correct as possible, I call up Jason at Rice to order my barrel.  Wound up doing a .58, and when I asked for straight rifling, he said okay.  "Jason, you said okay way too quick.  Was that something done back in the day?"  He told me yes and that I will love it especially when I throw a patched ball down the barrel.  The lands will make it easier to load versus a smoothbore.  My plan for this gun is to take my Spring Gobbler and I figure with the straight rifling, it shouldn't get fouled up going for my fowl. 
Here are a few pictures of parts:

Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 01:51:01 AM »
Interesting gun, indeed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 01:53:15 AM »
Michael, you have made yourself an interesting...I was going to say "rifle", then thought again.  An interesting firearm, how's that?  Straight-rifled firearm?  Channelized shotgun!  Should do a number on a turkey!!

You are really making a nice effort, and it shows.  Thanks for showing it to us.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »
The superb target/hunting rifle made for General Grant by N.G.Whitmore has an octagon
to round barrel and it is one really fine looking job.
I have only seen ONE attempt to replicate it and it had a low end lock that stood out like
a missing hand.
Bob Roller

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »
I have only seen ONE attempt to replicate it and it had a low end lock that stood out like
a missing hand.
Bob Roller

Easy to confuse Bob. The rifle you saw was likely made for Gen. Oliver "One-hand" Howard.  ;D