Author Topic: Austin Hackwork rifle  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

Austin Hackwork rifle
« on: March 31, 2020, 12:14:13 AM »
Contemporary Makers blog by Wayne Elliot posted a gun attributed to Austin Hackworth.

Awesome piece.  Going from memory, so might be some gaps.  The Hackworth, Mendenhall, Newlon, Botkin and Morgan were all related.  Calf Pasture creek area and Bedford, VA.  Col David H. Hackworth a relative of Austin Hackworth who along with many of his relatives above were at Point Pleasant if my memory is correct.  "Hack" rests in Arlington Cemetery passed I think in 2005.  Tiger Force 101st Airborne Vietnam to Afghanistan. Oddly enough one of Hack's favorite hobbies was family genealogy.  Paul Bigham made a gun out of black walnut, that totally by chance has similarities to this Austin Hackworth gun. 

Would love to know more history on this gun.  And where she resides now.  PM if you have any info. 

Thank you

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: Austin Hackwork rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 07:01:17 AM »
I currently own that Austin Hackworth rifle. I purchased it from a collector/dealer and don’t believe that he had any history on it.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »
 8) 8) 8)... I looked up that link and viewed this rifle,.. she is a beauty and defies what you think a middle-Tennessee rifle would look like, retaining it's East Tennessee style,... all-in-all a beautiful  rifle,...perhaps someone who knows how can post a link to the original ALR discussion here,... CCF

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 09:28:26 PM »
This rifle displays a combination of influences on the maker, Austin Hackworth, as his family moved from Virginia to East Tennessee to lower middle Tennessee. It is a reminder that regional designs traveled and were not static.
Wayne Elliott

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 10:35:44 PM »
 ;) ;)... any photos of the  entry pipe and nose-cap, Wayne,...?

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 09:50:43 PM »

The nearness of the front escutcheon to the nose cap gives an idea of how much the barrel was shortened.  The barrel currently is 45”, so originally it was 47 or 48”.
Wayne Elliott

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 02:51:49 AM »
 :)... Thanx, Wayne,... great photos and info on this fine rifle,... is the entry pipe two-piece,...?... I'm a lot of trouble, but can I get photos of the barrel tang and bottom side of the trigger-guard sometime,... thank you  being so accommodating,... CCF...

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »
 ;) ;)... Thanx, Flinch, and sorry, Wayne,... I didn't scroll down far enough to see the other photos,... however,.. Makes my day start right to see these old mountain rifles,.. !!!... regards,.. CCF...