Author Topic: Is cord such as this available?  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Kevin

Is cord such as this available?
« on: March 31, 2020, 12:28:24 AM »
Greetings All,

Has anyone come across cord such as on this flask for sale here in the 21st century?  I'd enjoy finding half-a-dozen or so yards of it for future projects.  It's about 1/8 to 3/16 inch in diameter.

Thanks for looking,
Kevin

Offline Marcruger

Re: Is cord such as this available?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 02:46:57 AM »
I'd check cloth stores like JoAnn Fabric.  You might find what you need, or at least find out what it is called.  Hope this helps.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 04:09:17 AM »
Looks like woven waxed cotton cord like that used years ago as shoe laces.
Psalms 144

RoaringBull

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 04:20:39 AM »

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 04:25:09 AM »
Do a search for braided cord. 
Brice Stultz

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 01:44:50 PM »
Greetings,

Thank you to all who suggested sources.  I truly appreciate it.

Kevin

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 02:34:16 PM »
I have a roll of cordage very similar to that. Mine is nylon, not cotton. I could spare a few yards if thats what you are looking for.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 04:53:25 PM »
If/when advisable go to estate sales. Looks like a fancy curtain tie-back.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kevin

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 01:56:02 AM »
I have a roll of cordage very similar to that. Mine is nylon, not cotton. I could spare a few yards if thats what you are looking for.

Nordnecker,
Thanks for the offer.  I don't need it in the very immediate future so I'll see if I can scrounge up some in cotton.

Stay Safe,
Kevin

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 02:44:15 PM »
I tried to post a photo of mine yesterday but it wouldn't work. It is not as green as your photo. In fact it's more tan/brown. It is #60 braided nylon from Ocean Products in Diggs VA. They do amazing rope splices for all sorts of commercial/ military transport and shipping. They also cater to the commercial fishing and crabbing industry. You should call them just to hear a truely unique accent.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 11:09:46 PM »
Try Etsy: search 'braided cord'.  You can refine the material type by including it in the search, i.e. 'hemp', 'linen', etc.

I have seen photos of original cords from the 19th century that are frayed revealing the structure which consisted of a core of longitudinal fibers surrounded by the braided outer sheath.  This would make for a very strong cord.  The tassel appeared to be part of the sheath that was unbraided and bound somehow to prevent unraveling.

This would make for an interesting enterprise for some of the gifted crafts folks that do the straps and other such things.  I have some beautiful original Austrian, French and English flasks and shot pouches that could use this kind of addition.

Offline WKevinD

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline JBJ

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »
The last I bought was from Dixie Gun Works. Just checked and they had it in red.
J.B.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »
As JBJ said, Dixie Gun Works has "flask cord" like this in red only, 20' for $4.95.  I'm using my iPhone right now, and inserting a link is beyond my capability.  However, if you Google "dixie gun works flask cord," you'll find it at the top of the list.

I've bought a couple of hanks of this from Dixie.  I think it's a good product, for what it is, at a reasonable price.  They only have it in red... Maybe you could overdye it to get a different color (?).  You'll have to tie those fancy tassels yourself, too.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Kevin

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 06:42:36 PM »
Greetings & Thanks for all the leads.

The Dixie Gun Works cords looks nice and very appropriate size wise.  Would look even nice, to my eye, in a dark green.

The local Joann Fabrics has a heavier cotton braided cord - about 5/16 dia. in black, white, light gray, and forth color, possibly navy blue, can't remember exactly what my daughter mentioned.  She brought me a few yards of the light gray to play with.  Might see if some if it takes kindly to green Rit dye.

Again, Many Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Two Feathers

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 08:19:48 PM »
Greetings All,

Has anyone come across cord such as on this flask for sale here in the 21st century?  I'd enjoy finding half-a-dozen or so yards of it for future projects.  It's about 1/8 to 3/16 inch in diameter.

Thanks for looking,
Kevin
Hello
 Just my $0.02 for what it's worth. The stuff looks like old Venetian Blind cord that someone had dyed. Back a few years ago you could get it at Lowes as a Venetian Blind "repair" kit. I'd just look for OLD blinds at yard sales or at the local Salvation Army/second hand stores. You can get the tassels at any fabric shop or Walmart. Again, just my $0.02.
God bless: Stay safe
Two Feathers

Offline 45-110

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 02:12:08 PM »
Sash cord maybe?
have a look at this source:
http://kilianhardware.com/sashcord.html

Offline Two Feathers

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 03:53:22 PM »
45-110
 Good plan but waaaay too heavy. This the stuff my mom hung our clothes on to dry back in the 50's. Venetian blind cord is only about .093" in Diameter (3/32") This clothesline rope is 3/16" to 1/4" just a bit too big to be a usable substitute, but it CAN be dyed, so there's a plus! The really OLD Venetian blind cord was 100% cotton, not sure about what's sold these days.
Two Feathers

Offline backsplash75

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 07:48:30 PM »
I'd look for mohair cinch cord on etsy.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 07:32:56 AM »
Check your hardware store for 1/4" braided cotton laundry line or drapery cord.