Author Topic: Anyone shoot a Gain twist barrel ?  (Read 4370 times)

Offline little joe

Re: Anyone shoot a Gain twist barrel ?
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
Back in the 1980,s I had a Hawken 50 cal with a gain twist bbl. by Bill Large which was a fine shooter. Hand rifled on a bench which Bob Roller may have worked  on.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2020, 02:08:53 AM »
McLemore site says he's not doing any BP work at present.

Dan just posted a short video on youtube so I harassed him there-told him we were talking about his gun.

Somehow in the last several years in what little I read about gain twist (GT) I hadn't latched onto the idea of better accuracy. I had always associated with big loads and long bullets and the "stripping" theory.  BUT the accuracy thing with the round ball did perk up my ears, so I'll be digging and rooting to see if what else I may have missed.  Thanks.
Hold to the Wind

Offline yulzari

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »
I shall be interested to hear what you find on accuracy and gaining twist Wade. I cannot see why a gaining twist should do anything for accuracy but I am prepared to learn.

n.b. (not directed at anyone) that person X does fine work with a gaining twist does not demonstrate that a gaining twist is better. One can equally point to fine work done by others with constant twists. It is merely a, well deserved, compliment to the shooter/rifle combination.

What would be needed is an explanation of why. Then that reason can be tested in a comparable way with a constant twist.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2020, 10:01:20 PM »
I shall be interested to hear what you find on accuracy and gaining twist Wade. I cannot see why a gaining twist should do anything for accuracy but I am prepared to learn.

n.b. (not directed at anyone) that person X does fine work with a gaining twist does not demonstrate that a gaining twist is better. One can equally point to fine work done by others with constant twists. It is merely a, well deserved, compliment to the shooter/rifle combination.

What would be needed is an explanation of why. Then that reason can be tested in a comparable way with a constant twist.

I don't have to know exactly why everything works in order to enjoy better things anymore.  Sometimes just knowing that it works (better) is plenty enough. I don't expect anyone will ever find the answer you're spelling out here, simply because it would take considerable controlled testing to develop a "proven" theory.  Someone has to donate time and materials to all that testing, and compile and analyze all the data.  Without some compelling interest-such as a big market of buyers and the $ in profits for such goods, I don't expect anyone to undertake the challenge.  If I were to do so, then it's because I hit the lotto and have secured an indoor testing facility with dozens of barrels and helpers to generate the data.

Or I might just go fishing.  ;) 

I'm satisfied to understand that a decreasing twist is an abomination to accuracy, and that the accuracy "gain" of a gain twist bbl may simply be the effect of eliminating any possibility of a decrease in twist at the muzzle-which can happen in very slight amounts with our normal fixed twists as has been discussed here or in previous gain-twist threads.  I did a review.

Another way to analyze data would to be extremely accurate blueprinting of hundreds of the top match shooters' guns. That would be another monumental task and very likely encounter many winners who would not participate thereby skewing results. Plus you'd have to look at the rest of the bbls just to find out what portion of competition-only guns were indeed GT equipped (If most of them were, that skews results as well).  Also that the wind/weather/human factor is always a part of competition and cannot be excluded from this sort of data- that lab-testing of bbls (in tunnels) would generate better data.

And that's about all I gots to say about that. I have a new understanding of what to avoid, and may simply focus on that,  when I get around to doing a lot of shooting--which hasn't been feasible for some time now.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:05:07 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind