Author Topic: Bearden Rifles  (Read 6928 times)

Offline wildcatter

Bearden Rifles
« on: March 31, 2020, 08:42:36 PM »
Anyone out there willing to post some pictures of any signed or attributed Bearden family rifles. I know there were several gunsmiths that were Beardens in Tennessee, South Carolina etc. trying to narrow down some characteristics.

Matt
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:49:10 PM by wildcatter »
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Bearden Rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 09:51:07 PM »
Good luck with this. I have also looked and don't find much.

Brass.  Tha's all I can recall of the top of my head.  And that there's a smoothie I like that is attributed to a Bearden, and I'm still trying to get info on it.  Pics have been posted but it's not a signed gun, nor a rifle. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 10:08:37 PM »
Wade, thanks for the reply, I have looked through all the prior posts as well. Saw the attributed fowler, downloaded the picture but hard to see details.  I also saw where Damon Mills may have sold one but I can't find it. 
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:50:52 PM »
... one of the publications from back in the '90s had a great photo of the Alfred Bearden rifle , "Old Kellum" once owned by Walter M. Cline on the front cover, along with a two page article inside,... cannot remember if "Blasts" or "Loader",...  also all 4 volumes of Jerry Noble's books have photos of rifles by Alfred and Pleasant Bearden,... good luck,... Cades Cove Fiddler

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 11:27:48 PM »
Thanks CCF, all my Jerry Nobles books are on loan, only have #1 and #2. I'll have to comb through them when they come back from assignment.

Matt

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 11:31:35 PM »
I recently picked up an iron mounted Bearden, which I believe is Alfred Bearden's work from about 1840-1845 but made as a flintlock...now percussion with different lock. It has many of his characteristics in stock and mountings. I spoke with Jerry Noble at the Princeton Show a couple of weeks back, and he said he thought there were a few iron mounted Alfred Bearden rifles, but he had never seen one. This one has a 43-5/8" barrel that has  been shortened at the breech about 2" [losing any initials on the oblique flat near the breech], bore is .37 caliber. I have had a couple of brass mounted Beardens, but never an iron mounted one, so I picked this one up, despite being shortened a little and surviving a less than perfect life. It was a tough day to photograph, too sunny in Florida, but these views should show many of the key details of a Bearden rifle...which always include a strongly curled maple stock with 4 pipes and a small but very high cheekpiece.

Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:12:33 PM by Tanselman »

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 12:20:09 AM »
Shelby,

Really Appreciate the photos! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Matt

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 12:54:53 AM »
Here are some photos that I took in 2005 of a rifle that belonged to my wife's cousin Robert E Lee (Bob) Bearden Jr. Bob told me that he had used this rifle at muzzleloading matches years before. I posted these photos here several years ago and the consensus was that it was made by one of the Beardens, possibly Alfred.

I didn't know enough at the time I took the photos to look for a signature. Bob would have loved to have known that it was possibly a Bearden rifle. Comparing the photos with those in Jerry Noble's books, it certainly has similarities to Alfred's work, the extended lock panels, the cheek piece and the triggerguard.
Mark Poley

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 01:00:05 AM »
Good luck with this. I have also looked and don't find much.

Brass.  Tha's all I can recall of the top of my head.  And that there's a smoothie I like that is attributed to a Bearden, and I'm still trying to get info on it.  Pics have been posted but it's not a signed gun, nor a rifle.
Wade, where are the photos of the Bearden smoothie located? I would love to see them. Since my wife is a Bearden descendent I would love to build a copy of a Bearden gun someday. A smooth rifle or fowler sounds very interesting.
Thanks, Mark
Mark Poley

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 01:08:44 AM »
Shelby, The brass mounted Alfred Bearden rifles in Jerry Noble's books have the extended lock panels. Did he use the smaller lock panels like yours early in his career or on his iron mounted guns. Do you think the iron mounted guns are earlier than the brass mounted guns or did he make them both in the same time frame?
Thanks, Mark
Mark Poley

Offline LynnC

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 01:10:16 AM »
How can I find this attributed Bearden fowler/smooth bore? Thanks for any help.

I see Im a slow poster 😉
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 01:58:34 AM »
Dutchman,

Appreciate the photos as well, exactly what I needed.

Matt

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 02:14:32 AM »
Wade, where are the photos of the Bearden smoothie located?

I saw it first here: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6257.0

And kicked it back up here (and re-upped the photos to eliminate the watermark): https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=55983.0

As to attribution and deep-stylistic discussion, I defer to the expertise of Dick, Shelby, and all those others who are much more advanced in studies than I.

It's rather obvious to see that the cheekpiece is same basic "Bearden" shape, but instead of "high" is forward on the fowler. That's probably the biggest change I'd make if I get around to building something "inspired by" that gun. 

++++
Thanks for the rifle pics fellas.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 02:24:19 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 02:59:28 AM »
Thanks, Wade for the links
Mark Poley

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 04:37:25 AM »
Iron Mounted vs. Brass Mounted...I think the iron mounted rifle is from Bearden's mid-career [based on width of butt and toe], but it's the only iron mounted Bearden I've seen among perhaps a dozen brass mounted rifles, so we only have this single iron rifle to study. The butts were a little wider on the prior two brass mounted rifles I've had, so maybe they were a little earlier than the iron  mounted rifle...but none of my rifles had the exceptionally long side-facings like those on the 2nd posted rifle. Bearden's side facings are always a little longer than eastern side facings, and a few look awkward due to their excessive length, but many aren't so long and look reasonably good on his rifles.

These rifles are most often signed by two relatively large initials "A B" stamped or cut into the rear oblique barrel flat near the breech. Unfortunately, whenever one of these rifles is re-breeched, it usually loses its barrel stamp.

The iron mounted rifle had an original flintlock replaced with a later, longer percussion lock. The original lock was shorter, making the side facings appear to have more length at either end of the lock plate as compared to the current lock. I have always thought that iron mounted rifles made in the back hills of TN and KY were usually a lower cost gun [rather than being earlier or later] than a comparable brass mounted rifle...since the gunsmith could forge the butt plate, guard, and toe plate rather easily...and iron was usually more readily available than brass in hill country areas.

Shelby Gallien   
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:53:05 PM by Tanselman »

Offline LynnC

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 05:20:56 AM »
Boy have i been out if circulation!  More than 10 years I see.  Life got in the way between then and now  Have any southern fowlers turned up in the intervening years?  Sorry if that drags us off topic 😉
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 05:24:43 AM »
Thank you, Shelby
Mark Poley

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 05:36:40 AM »
Really appreciate all the photos, I'm narrowing in on an identification of possibly another Bearden rifle. Shelby, any chance I can get a picture of the tang/breech of your rifle?

Matt

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 07:14:50 AM »

... the rifle on right is by Alfred Bearden,... I believe she is the one called "Old Kellum" by Walter M. Cline and written about in his great book,... Also, I think an Alfred Bearden rifle is in the museum in Lincoln County,... I must go see when they deem safe and re-open,....

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 06:41:36 PM »
Additional Pictures - Attached are pictures of the iron mounted Bearden rifle's: 1) tang, and 2) lock bolt washer & triggers. Note the tang is straight sided for about 50-60% of its length, then tapers to a straight-sided spear point. I also show a close-up of the lock bolt washer which is typical of Bearden's work with its oval shape. The front trigger is also typical with the small teat at its base and decorative flange...often the rear trigger has a matching teat at its base. Bearden usually mounted his trigger guard with a pin in the front extension and wood screw in the rear extension.

Bearden rifles have so many individual characteristics, they are usually rather easy to identify. Another "Bearden" detail is his rear sight that sits a couple inches behind the rear pipe, when most gunsmiths placed their rear sight above the rear pipe.

Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:15:39 PM by Tanselman »

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 07:12:49 PM »
CCF, I appreciate the muzzle blasts photo, helps tremendously and Shelby, I once again thank you for the knowledge and photos!

Matt

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »
Thank you, Shelby for the additional info and photos.
Mark Poley

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 12:28:31 AM »
How about a pistol signed A BEARDEN?

Wayne Elliott

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 12:30:54 AM »
And who else but that great researcher Arnie Dowd would have tracked down a descendant of Bearden to get a picture? 
Wayne Elliott

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2020, 01:42:13 AM »
Man, look at the curl in the butt stock of that pistol! Great wood. Ok Wayne, just checking...want to trade the pistol for the rifle?

Shelby Gallien