Author Topic: Trouble with Eco Flo Dye  (Read 907 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Trouble with Eco Flo Dye
« on: March 31, 2020, 08:54:05 PM »
Hi guys!
I'm making a black belt with red decoration and I'm having problems with my red dye. I'm dyeing some about 5oz. Cow hide with Eco Flo water dye & it is badly streaking. I'm applying with a sponge per instructions. Looks like I'm painting a barn with a worn out brush. Never had this problem with this leather & dye combination before. Ideas?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Marcruger

Re: Trouble with Eco Flo Dye
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »
Hi Roger, 

I never use EcoFlo waterbased acrylic dye.  I tried it, and had bad luck streaking as you noted.  I've seen others online lament working with it.  I think James may have had success with it though, so he may be able to share the secret. 

I use the Fiebing's Pro Dye mainly, and stick with that.  I works well with staying power, and doesn't have issues with oiling or top finishes in my experience. 

For application, the person who showed me instructed that you thin the dye first, and apply it in a scrubbing motion with a scrap of sheepskin.  I buy those scraps by the bag-full.  Let that coat settle, and add another in the same way.  Build up tp taste.  Make sure and wear an apron and disposable gloves.  Oh yes, I blot the wet sheepskin scrap on a paper towel before scrubbing into the leather, thereby preventing a dark blob in one spot (hopefully). 

All of that said, I dye all of my parts before sewing.  In fact, I usually dye before cutting to final size to minimize dye variations at the edges.  If you are doing dye work after sewing, you'd better coordinate with someone who also dyes that way. 

Hope this helps.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 10:56:04 PM »
Thanks! I always dye before sewing. I dyed a bag with this stuff previously with satisfactory results and the black worked fine. I'll order some of the stuff you're using. The belt is an 1830s or so "mountain man" type, but I can't just go simple. I'm adding a red overlay in the back with some marinated brass ponchos for bling. Will be less than authentic but striking.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 04:45:10 AM »
Might consider red paint?
I use red paint for my key baskets
And it turns out good I think.
I’m surprised how well paint
Wants to stick to leather.
TC

"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."