Author Topic: Very fine threaded rod source?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline deepcreekdale

Very fine threaded rod source?
« on: April 01, 2020, 12:14:33 AM »
I am looking to make an adjustable tang/peep sight after recently handling an original percussion gun that struck my fancy. The rear sight was adjustable on a very fine threaded rod, looked to be about #5 or 6, with approximately 72 threads per inch. Does anybody know of a source for this type of threaded rod with a matching nut? I have googled some of the online bolt makers, but they seem to only make them in the standard sizes, ie 3-48, 2-56 in very short lengths. These would not be long enough or thick enough to function. I found one place that custom makes them for industry but the minimum order is 1000. That is a lot of rear sights! Suggestions? Is that something a machinist could turn on a lathe?
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

chubby

Re: Very fine threaded rod source?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 12:52:12 AM »
Check with McMaster Carr, they may have something!  Chubby :)

Offline okieboy

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 02:54:39 AM »
 Why don't you buy a threading die?
Okieboy

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 03:30:52 AM »
Brownells. 1-800-741-0015

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 06:09:52 AM »
To me the challenge is you need a way to thread the rod and a way to tap a threaded hole in whatever is traveling up or down the rod.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 06:21:31 AM »
Dale,

1/8" diameter rod is the right size for making a #5 threaded rod, screw, etc.  Find a suitable #5 x ?? thread die and tap to match and you're in business.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 07:18:32 AM »
 I made a horizontal adjustment for a brass tube scope out of a socket head cap screw in grade 8 that  I got from the parts house. I think it was a #4 with very fine threads but it was only around four inches long.

Hungry Horse

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 04:24:07 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, very much appreciated. The problem I am running into with  threaded rod, bolts, and taps and dies, is they are all to industry standard, ie, 6-40, 4-48 etc. When you get down to very fine threads, you are talking # 2 and #1 screws which would be way too small. Maybe a better description of what I am looking for might help. I want a threaded rod, about 2-3 inches long about a #6 with 72 tpi. The sight would be silver soldered on top of this, and that assembly would be threaded into either the tang or a nut secured beneath it with a lock nut to secure. The rod in question has to be sturdy enough to not bend with the slighted touch. To adjust for elevation, you would turn the whole assembly. Very fine threads would be necessary for this. I saw this assembly on a very fine old original that came into my shop for some work, as near as I could tell, it was 72 tpi on a rod around 3/16 in diameter.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 05:51:49 PM »
They seem to have a wide range of adjustment screws.  You would need a tapping die to make the female threads.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 06:31:57 PM »
If my math is correct, you'd need a screw at least 60 mm long for your application. That would give you a screw 2.4 inches long figuring 1 mm = .04".

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 08:35:57 PM »

tiswell, that might just do the trick. I might need to redesign my idea for the tang mount to accommodate a shorter screw but once you have the sight close, you would not need to adjust it very much, just like any rear sight as long as you aren't trying to shoot 400-600  yard targets. I really appreciate the suggestion. Great tip.

Offline tiswell

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 11:27:18 PM »
deepcreekdale,
     Here is 3/16-100 that is 2 inches long if you can live with a diameter that large.

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1205

Blessings, Bill

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 12:12:12 AM »
Just my humble opinions.My brother and I have made a few precision rear and front sights for target rifles we have made.  All had fine threads. We made the taps and die on one of our precision lathes. These fine thread screws are hard to find. You might try trashed out computers and other electronic devices as they all have fine small thread screws and nuts. ...DICK

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 01:16:35 AM »
Try contacting NJ SteelBaron. They have lots of variety, I recommend calling them to tell them exactly what you need.

https://newjerseysteelbaron.com/
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 03:06:30 AM »
I was very fortunate when it came time to make such a sight.  The benevolent Bob Roller sent me a tap and die for 1/4" x 80 tpi.  I can tell you that threading a piece of 1/4" steel rod with 80 tpi is quite a stunt.  I've made lots of small screws for radio controlled aircraft at 0 x 80, too.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 04:28:33 AM »
I am looking to make an adjustable tang/peep sight after recently handling an original percussion gun that struck my fancy. The rear sight was adjustable on a very fine threaded rod, looked to be about #5 or 6, with approximately 72 threads per inch. Does anybody know of a source for this type of threaded rod with a matching nut? I have googled some of the online bolt makers, but they seem to only make them in the standard sizes, ie 3-48, 2-56 in very short lengths. These would not be long enough or thick enough to function. I found one place that custom makes them for industry but the minimum order is 1000. That is a lot of rear sights! Suggestions? Is that something a machinist could turn on a lathe?

The long range rear sights that are in use today have 32 or 40 threads per inch for adjusting for windage and elevation. That way 1 revolution of the knob is good for 3 minutes of angle. They also use 12 "clicks" per revolution which results in approximately 1/4 inch at 100 yards (depending on sight radius) per click. I don't see the need for anything finer than this for any competition shooting. Also, 32 or 40 t.p.i. rod would be a heck of a lot easier to find than 72. Unless you just want to make it hard on yourself by doing 72 "just because" I'd look for something more available.

Some fine thread dies https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Threading/Dies-Chasers-Thread-Rolls/Round-Dies?navid=12106027#navid=12106027+4286927833
Some fine thread taps https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Threading/Straight-Flute-Taps?searchterm=taps&navid=4287643437#navid=4287643437+4288103409&searchterm=taps

Lots of combinations available.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:44:54 AM by Clowdis »

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 11:04:12 PM »
Tiswells suggestion was exactly what I needed. His link had all sorts of precision threaded screws and threaded bushings that will be perfect up to 100 tpi. The application they are used for is precision optical adjusters. Pretty close to fine gun sights in my opinion. Clowdis, you are correct, I could find something coarser and could easily make it work. But, as you also said, I want to do it "just because"! On the original gun I worked with the sight was such a visible and remarkable feature, I just have to try to do it. I am sort of over building SMR's and Lancasters, I like to dip my toes in the exotic and unusual.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 01:04:30 AM »
Dale,

1/8" diameter rod is the right size for making a #5 threaded rod, screw, etc.  Find a suitable #5 x ?? thread die and tap to match and you're in business.

-Ron
I would use the standard 5x40 tap and die. 40 threads per inch IS a micrometer thread and will move
the sight .025 or 1/40th of an inch per turn.I used an 8x40 on the few long range sights I have made.
Any industrial supply catalog will have a wide variety of"Special Thread" taps and dies listed for sale.
I sent a 1/4x80 to Taylor Sapergia for the pistol grip Hawken project a few years ago.These are not a
high dollar item.
How long a piece of 5x40 do you need?Maybe I can help you without bankrupting you and I don't mind
helping because I well remember years ago when I needed help and got it from Bill Large and others.
I have just edited this to consult an industrial supply catalog and they have a 10x60 listed which is a 3/16
or .1875 diameter if you need one that big.Call Travers Industrial Supply and request a catalog.They have a
10x80 listed and also have the dies listed.their # is 1-800-221-0270.or online at WWW.Travers.com.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:01:25 AM by Bob Roller »

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 02:16:57 AM »
Clowdis, you are correct, I could find something coarser and could easily make it work. But, as you also said, I want to do it "just because"! On the original gun I worked with the sight was such a visible and remarkable feature, I just have to try to do it. I am sort of over building SMR's and Lancasters, I like to dip my toes in the exotic and unusual.

:)  I totally understand.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 02:16:59 AM »
You will not find a tap or a die like that unless you make it or pay someone else to make it.  You may change your mind when you discover the price. Uniqueness comes at a high price.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 03:54:46 PM »
I have made a few taps and dies over the years and that would be the easiest route to take. It would be a challenge cutting that combination on a large lathe, but on a small model makers lathe like a Sherline, with their hand cranked threading attachment, it would be fairly easy. Make the tap first than the die and you would be in business. You might inquire on The Hobby Machinist forum and see if anyone there could help you out.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »
Thanks again for all the great suggestions and offers of assistance. On the site that tiswell suggested, they have all sorts of fine threaded rods with threaded bushings which will be just what I need. A wide selection of up to 1/4 x 80 or 100 tpi. They are not that expensive and don't require the purchase of more than one piece.  The reason for wanting such a large diameter, fine threaded rod, is that the threaded rod itself is the sight post.  I know there are other and possible even better ways of doing this, but the original piece was so striking with that large fine threaded post attached to the tang, I just have to try it. Maybe one day I will figure out how to download pictures so I can share with everybody.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »
Thanks again for all the great suggestions and offers of assistance. On the site that tiswell suggested, they have all sorts of fine threaded rods with threaded bushings which will be just what I need. A wide selection of up to 1/4 x 80 or 100 tpi. They are not that expensive and don't require the purchase of more than one piece.  The reason for wanting such a large diameter, fine threaded rod, is that the threaded rod itself is the sight post.  I know there are other and possible even better ways of doing this, but the original piece was so striking with that large fine threaded post attached to the tang, I just have to try it. Maybe one day I will figure out how to download pictures so I can share with everybody.

The ones I made were probably 5 for breechloaders and 1 for a long range muzzle loader.
They are on a single screw hinge and the internal threads are on the part that carried
the disc. They take time to make. The post types that work like a bolt are frequently
found on round ball rifles either as an added on thing or as ordered when the gun was
new.There is NO NEED to hire a custom machinist to make a tap or die for these because
they are listed in industrial supply catalogs from every company.
Bob Roller

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »
 I told you I wasn't always correct. Thank the lord for the internet.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.