Author Topic: proofing a barrel outside of the stock  (Read 2884 times)

Joe S

Re: proofing a barrel outside of the stock
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »
You don't have to guess what the proof load should be. The British worked this out a long time ago. Go to http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/Vict/31-32/113/contents/enacted
The text is worth reading, the proof load tables are at the end of the document.

I have used the tie the barrel to a truck tire method. It worked well, except for a 10 bore. With the 10 bore, when I touched it off, the recoil flipped the tire over. I was impressed.

Lately though, I have been using Mike Brooks proof testing method.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »
For trying old barrels, I tie them to a plank.  It's hard to flip a plank laid on the ground.

When we proofed a homemade 4 -bore, we tied it to a plank, and put a good heavy bale of hay behind it.
When touched off, it folded that square-bale double.
British proof charge, (No 1)  was I think 27 drams and was it 3 ounces or 3 1/2? Forgot!

It'll be in the link above supplied by Jose.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2020, 05:55:01 PM »
My only caution here if proofing is to make sure your stocked gun can move when touched off.  I have seen modern rifles with their stocks shattered in those bench sleds, because the sled was loaded with so much weight it couldn't move.  Stocks are meant to recoil back against a human and move, not against an immovable object. Something has to give, and it can be the stock.

I think this was part of the idea of using a tire, as it flexes and moves.   

For a barrel out of the stock, this doesn't apply obviously. 

I just hate to see someone put tons of hours into a beautiful longrifle, and then destroy the stock. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2020, 08:30:29 PM »
My only caution here if proofing is to make sure your stocked gun can move when touched off.  I have seen modern rifles with their stocks shattered in those bench sleds, because the sled was loaded with so much weight it couldn't move.  Stocks are meant to recoil back against a human and move, not against an immovable object. Something has to give, and it can be the stock.

I think this was part of the idea of using a tire, as it flexes and moves.   

For a barrel out of the stock, this doesn't apply obviously. 

I just hate to see someone put tons of hours into a beautiful longrifle, and then destroy the stock. 

God Bless,   Marc

Marc's advice is good. The immovable lead sled use is highly discouraged for use in shooting high priced double rifles, just for the reason of stock breakage.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mick C

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2020, 11:00:35 PM »
I've used the tire method and it worked like a charm.  Just inserted the butt into the tire and strapped the fore end on with bungee cords. Thinking is should also work for a barrel outside the stock.  Absolutely no damage to the gun.  That's my recommendation.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »
Back before we had tyres, (!)  we used a saw-horse, as it can rock back on it's legs and save a stock too much stress,  Mark.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2020, 01:05:27 AM »
Awww, Richard!  Before you had tyres?  Well, way back when, we had to tie our barrels to a tree stump with hempen cords.  Sometimes, we had to use rawhide ties, 'coz someone had smoked our twine...  But we got the job done.  When the wheel n tyre got invented, it was much easier!

Of course, if you had an idiot nephew or cousin, he could usually be persuaded to just hold it for us.  Oft times we would run out of cousins - then back to the tree stump!  The family breathed a sigh of relief when the tractor came along on it's tyres.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.