Author Topic: Rectangular grease hole on southern rifles  (Read 1369 times)

Offline tomjanemc

Rectangular grease hole on southern rifles
« on: April 02, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »
 I’m building a southern fullstock flintlock rifle and would like to utilize a rectangular shaped grease hole. Does anyone have a picture of a Joseph Blair rifle of Russellville,KY with a rectangular grease hole? Or any other good examples of rectangular grease holes from KY, Tenn, or N.C. Thanks !

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Rectangular grease hole on southern rifles
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 02:37:05 AM »
A fantastic Joseph Blair rifle is illustrated in living color on the KRA CD "Into the Bluegrass".  I love this gun, and Russellville is only 15 miles away from me.  It has no grease hole, though.  It seems many relatively plain Kentucky made rifles have no grease hole or patchbox.  If you're interested in Kentucky made rifles at all, you must get this picture CD.

Also the Book (actually, a two volume set) "Kentucky Gunmakers", by Shelby Gallien, who, I believe is a member here.  Excellent with lots of biographical info.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 05:43:13 AM »
Possible Kentucky rifle.

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 06:42:30 AM »
Sleek. Any guess on the possible maker?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 06:45:58 AM »
Sleek. Any guess on the possible maker?

Greg

Nope.  Three entirely different possible locations are attributed for this gun!  :D
https://aspenshadeltd.com/inventory_consign.html

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 03:06:58 PM »
Below are photos of my Mathew Gillespie made rifle. He probably built this rifle while living in the East Fork community of present day Transylvania County NC

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 08:47:22 PM »
Looks like a good looking rifle to me and the square grease hole can be as greasy
as a round one ;D.These rifles and the thousand yard specials from the gunmakers
of the UK define my interests in muzzle loading rifles with the Hawken a close "also ran".
Bob Roller