Author Topic: Lock issue  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Maineshops

Lock issue
« on: April 04, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »
One of my durs egg locks has a bit of a hiccup. When I pull it to full cock it usually takes a couple of tries to get it to engage that full cock notch. All the parts seem to be the same as my other two egg locks . Sear screw is loose. Trip flow for lube. Just seems to be a slight drag somewhere. Any thoughts?  Thanks  dan.
       What did they use to lube looks back in the day?

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Lock issue
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 05:06:24 PM »
Maine,

Lube -wise, Col Peter Hawker wrote that,    "Locks, like sardines, are best kept in a little oil".

Bit of grease on working surfaces is what I use. 
Gin is useful for cleaning locks, takes off gummy oil nicely and has been used for centuries, and it does give you a good reason to buy a bottle.
A quart of gin for cleaning locks should last a whole week....

:-)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:14:08 PM »
If this happens out of the stock, my guess is that the fly is worn and not flipping forward when it should. If it happens in the stock but not out of the stock, my guess is that the sear bar is hanging up in the hole.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 08:27:19 PM »
As for lock lube, I find moly grease is the best for friction surfaces.  The once a year application stays through my normal off the gun cleaning process with toothbrush in a bucket of water
then blowing the excess water off and spraying with WD40, shaken, wiped and put back in the gun.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline skullcap

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 08:34:47 PM »
Lock bolt to tight. Pulled in  sear bar  is touching.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:25:48 PM »
Wood interference.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 10:48:32 PM »
Make sure the fly is properly installed. It is possible to place it backwards in these locks.

Offline FALout

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 11:55:33 PM »
Sometimes the fly is too long which forces pulling the cock back as far as possible.  Shortening the fly slightly can help.  With lock out, view the fly and you can see how little it would take to shorten, but first check that the fly is in correctly as already mentioned.
Bob

Offline Maineshops

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 12:42:12 AM »
The lock I out of the stock. Sometimes it will engage and other times not.  Dan

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 08:25:22 PM »
Something is definately binding it up. You need to check the sear notch for gunk. check the sear spring to make sure it is not jamed into the shoulder of the sear it should be back a little resting on the shank only. Stone the sides of the sear.  remove the fly and check function. You should get a nice clear click into the full cock notch. Stone the side of the fly. Reassemble and see if that took care of the problem. Looking at the mechanism under a magnavisor will be helpful as you cycle the lock. good luck
Dave Blaisdell