Author Topic: Cherry and lye  (Read 1018 times)

Offline WKevinD

Cherry and lye
« on: April 04, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »
I have a great piece of cherry that is close to needing finishes and will probably use lye to color the stock.
I make soap so I have a large quantity of pure undiluted sodium hydroxide (lye).
Any ideas on what dilution I should use?

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Cherry and lye
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 07:40:35 PM »
Kevin

I use 1 teaspoon of lye(red devil) to one pint of water.

Mitch

Offline 45-110

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 08:59:59 PM »
I just "stained" my new cherry pistol build with spray oven cleaner which is lye. I did a few practice runs on scrap and I am amazed at the beautiful rich color it produced. I left the foam on for 10 mins. wiped it off and then wiped stock down with vinegar. Last week I mixed up powdered lime and water on a test piece, it worked sort of, but did not get the darker rich tone that the oven cleaner produced. The topic has a lot of old discussion on this forum...where I learned of the spray lye trick.
Very pleased indeed.
kw

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 10:02:59 PM »
Thanks Mitch, just what i needed.

45-110 the spray on oven cleaner is diluted already and I already have 50 lbs of lye so buying more is out of the question, thanks anyhow.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 01:08:59 AM »
I've used Dollar General store oven cleaner. I think its $1 a can(more than you need). Worked fine for me.

image hosting for website
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.