Author Topic: Correction- H. Warner not "Werner"  (Read 6769 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Correction- H. Warner not "Werner"
« on: July 07, 2009, 03:41:31 AM »
Is anyone familiar with an old time maker named H. Werner? Can someone point me to instructions for posting photos?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:41:57 AM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

msmith

Re: H. Werner
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:22:58 AM »
Sellers list thirteen persons (Gunmakers) by the name of Werner.None of them start with H.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 04:27:45 PM »
There is a Horace Warner (with an "A").Williamsport Pa. and Syracuse NY 1827-1893....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
Re: H. Warner
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:41:17 AM »
I checked a little more closely and it is "H. Warner".
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Longknife

Re: Correction- H. Warner not "Werner"
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »
There is info about H. Warner in "THE MUZZLE-LOADING CAP LOCK RIFLE" by Ned H. Roberts.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:56:58 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:06:54 AM »
Thanks, I will try to get a copy.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 07:12:28 AM »
Is anyone familiar with an old time maker named H. Werner? Can someone point me to instructions for posting photos?

If you have a Warner I would like to know what it looks like. He specialized in super accurate slug guns. Some were VERY heavy (as opposed to only 20-30 pounds) and at least one was 69 caliber.
I put the photos on Photobucket in "medium email quality" then link them to what ever site I want in this case using the little photo  icon above the typing window.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
H. Warner Rifle Photos!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 04:22:44 AM »
This is the link to some photos I took and posted this evening.  I apologize for the quality.

http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/sequatchie/?albumview=grid

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
H. Warner
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 04:26:39 AM »
I'd like to know a little about the rifle and maker if anyone knows.  It came from the Upper Cumberland area of Middle/East Tennessee- Fentress County to be exact.  I ordered a bore measure gauge from TOW and will let you know what caliber it is when it arrives.

Offline Dphariss

Re: H. Warner
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »
I'd like to know a little about the rifle and maker if anyone knows.  It came from the Upper Cumberland area of Middle/East Tennessee- Fentress County to be exact.  I ordered a bore measure gauge from TOW and will let you know what caliber it is when it arrives.

I am sending the link to someone.

Dan

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 07:39:16 PM »
Thanks, I'm looking forward to learning more.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 06:05:17 AM »
There was an "W. H. Warner" gunmaker who lived in Kentucky. One fullstocked rifle is signed "W. H. Warner Liverpool Ky." I have never been able to find a "Liverpool" named town in Kentucky, but it may have been a small burg that disappeared, probably near Lexington, KY since there is a Liverpool Road there. While I do not want to read too much into your rifle, it does have the long, small caliber barrel of central KY guns, and straight toe and comb lines ("triangular" butt). I don't know if this is the maker, but thought I'd throw the name out there "just in case."  Shelby Gallien

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »
Fentress County, TN isn't too far away from Lexington, KY.  Thanks!

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 07:16:15 AM »
I'm inclined to think that Shelby is on to something.  This rifle does not in any way resemble the work of Horace Warner, the noted target rifle maker.  I have to believe it is a completely different man. Judging by style, I'd say Kentucky might be very likely.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »
There was an "W. H. Warner" gunmaker who lived in Kentucky. One fullstocked rifle is signed "W. H. Warner Liverpool Ky." I have never been able to find a "Liverpool" named town in Kentucky, but it may have been a small burg that disappeared, probably near Lexington, KY since there is a Liverpool Road there. While I do not want to read too much into your rifle, it does have the long, small caliber barrel of central KY guns, and straight toe and comb lines ("triangular" butt). I don't know if this is the maker, but thought I'd throw the name out there "just in case."  Shelby Gallien

This is what I have found out. Another "H. Warner" working in the Ohio/Kentucky area.
I am fairly sure that is who made this rifle.
Dan

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »
Any other info on him or photos of his work?

Thanks!