Author Topic: Help with musket ID  (Read 2031 times)

Traveler

Help with musket ID
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:46:38 AM »
Good Afternoon All,

Was hoping someone could help ID this musket that was found on my old family farm in NH

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Help with musket ID
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 05:07:31 AM »
Looks like a militia musket, probably post Rev War by the lock, but stock styling seems Rev War period to me. Any proof marks on the barrel? Can you tell what the stock wood is?
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 05:31:54 AM »
What a great find!!! Thank you for posting it on the ALR. You appear to have a fine New England fowler, and it is a real plus that it is a family held gun. Would not be surprised if this gun was used in the Rev War.
The fore end looks like it has been cut back and a bayomet stud put on top of the barrel. Look around some more, you may find something else applicable to the gun. Lock looks English and has the' bee' on the cock and a 'bellflower' on the plate. The mark on the barrel may be 'Z 1', or conversely '12,' or '21.'
Very likely the gun was made up in your area somewhere around, on or before the War. It would have served well for a time as a militia arm for a Minuteman. Nice that it is a good 'as found' condition and I would not do anything to it to 'improve' its looks. You might post some additonal photos of the various details; the butt plate, rear entry pipe, the muzzle and so on. You will get more information from the folks here on the ALR.
Thanks again.
Dick

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 05:48:11 AM »
Seems very English in styling. Now that I look closer it does look to be stocked in maple.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 06:53:22 AM »
Ketland lock?

Looks like it.

Offline Niall

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »
Ketland lock?

Looks like it.

I thought the same,the three leaves  on the cock  would also suggest that.

WESTbury

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »
The forestock looks to have a nice large swell, probably near the rear rammer pipe, which often indicates early manufacture as well.

You are fortunate to have a nice, what some collectors call, early "dual purpose" arm.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:23:09 PM by WESTbury »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 04:03:59 PM »
Ketland lock?

Looks like it.

I thought the same,the three leaves  on the cock  would also suggest that.
You'll see that decoration on all kinds of stuff, not just locks.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline backsplash75

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 05:12:41 PM »
can we get a look at the buttplate and triggerguard? Is the lock the original one to this stocking? If so leaning towards post revwar but in a conservative style.

WESTbury

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 05:43:48 PM »
To Mike's point.

The "W. Ketland & Co" lock is post 1800 per Joe Puleo article in Vol 33, No. 6 2011 article in Man at Arms Magazine.

Traveler

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 07:36:54 PM »
Thank you everyone for the input as soon as I get a chance I’ll get some pictures of the areas you all suggested

Online Collector

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 07:58:45 PM »
Might we get a few additional photos of the upper barrel band and of the trigger stock mounting itself?  Curious as to the band material and whether there is a trigger plate, or trigger is simply pinned in the stock. Also, one of barrel tang and one showing if tang screw is secured by a inlet square nut under the front of the guard, or through the trigger plate? If post-war, was War Of 1812 sufficient enough in magnatude in NH that it would necessitate modifying a civilian firearm for a bayonet at such a late date? If pre or ARW period, I would expect more of the construction details of the period to make the case.  Sooner or later, it has to be carefully disassembled to reveal its' other details.