Author Topic: Works in Progress  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Greg Pennell

Works in Progress
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:02:29 PM »
Hey guys, let’s see what’s on your workbenches!  Now that I finally finished my turkey gun. I’m getting around to working up a horn I picked up at the CLA last August. It’s a few firsts for me...first turned plug, first banded horn, and (hopefully) my first applied tip. It’s starting to come together.

So, what are you guys working on?

Greg
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:05:37 PM by Greg Pennell »
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
Re: Works in Progress
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 11:25:46 PM »
Traditional Scottish dirk
12 1/2” x 1 1/2” x 1/4” blade

Working on brass fittings

Offline Ghillie

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 01:54:09 AM »
Greg, Looks like the lathe you got a couple of years ago is coming into it's own.  Keep up the good work. You are sure getting more use of it than I ever did.   I've got 2 dirk blades downstairs I'm plan in to working up.  Bob

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 03:19:53 PM »
Nice shaping Greg.  I like that base.  I look forward to seeing the finished product.  Please proceed sir.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 10:30:48 PM »
 Does this mess count? I've got more stuff go'n than I need, I would like to extend Winter, for a month or so.

Tim

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 11:03:50 PM »
Got a few things done today> Shear knife, powder measure with a ball starter for my 25, ( I lose short starters quite often ) and a shot -powder measure. Cold and windy today so I'm in the shop! Tim, You have a drill with a cord????

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 11:24:05 PM »
 Yea, try'n to stay hystericly correct, notice it's Grandson to the left ;D  TC 

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 04:20:55 AM »
The advantage of a drill with a cord is that when I set it down I can (usually) follow the cord to find the drill again.

Online aaronc

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 03:47:09 PM »
This is a little further along than this now but here is a pic of each side of current project,.......the initial sketches anyway,.....

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 07:14:28 PM »
That’s gonna look sharp, Aaron!  Be sure and post the finished piece!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 11:39:24 PM »
A handsome horn, Gregg! One of those knives reminds me a bit of a Bollocks dagger.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 07:44:40 AM »
That’s a nice horn Greg. I’ve got this Bucks County 20G American Fowler, Oct/Rd on the Work bench.   Just finished inletting the trigger and syncing it up with the lock today.

Greg,

Does the honey-do list count?  My back can’t take much more of this virus  stay at home $#@*. Here’s a mantle I finished up and a porcelain tiled porch nearly complete.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »
Neat Stuff.  REALLY neat stuff...

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 03:33:31 PM »
Mike, I can’t wait to see how your fowling piece comes out...judging from your past builds I’m sure it will be stunning. I shot my “Southern Mountain Shotgun” some yesterday...that big Chambers lock is wicked fast, and after I get this thing jug choked the turkeys will be hating me for years!

Yep, honey do’s count.  Did you ever watch the Red Green Show?  “If a woman doesn’t find you handsome, at least she can find you handy”.

Greg

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 12:33:42 AM »
No horn work for me... Can't use my lathe until I get the roof back on the shed. Thus far, the weather has not been cooperative.

But I did a "rough draft" of a bag. It's machine sewn... Time saver when you're trying new things. I also decided to try out mahogany colored dye for kicks... came out better than I expected.

I had little hands helping me with dye and oil... And it shows. Lol. But that's ok it's just a project to try new things.

Mike

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 01:48:43 AM »
Mike, that’s a dandy bag, and a dandy helper!  I wish I had an apprentice...

Anyway, it was raining here today, which kept me out of the mushroom woods and in the shop. I managed to get my banded horn assembled, but I haven’t decided which way to go with dyes and such.  I learned a lot on this project, thanks to all Tim’s tutorials, and Scott Sibley’s banded horn book. I’ll definitely be making some more, when I get around to getting some more antler pieces for tips.

Walnut plug, with an iron staple, pinned with 4 iron pins. Bands and tip pinned with 3 iron pins. Tip is elk and whitetail antler pieces ( the tip got pretty pithy, one of the things I learned  :o)

Offline Rick Anthony

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 04:16:21 AM »
Greg and Mike- I would love to see your smoothbores at Boonesboro next year, really enjoyed seeing your work at the Fort in February. I only hope and pray that conditions allow us to get together by then.

Rick
Uncle Hiram

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 06:43:37 PM »
Well, here’s the finished horn. I laid down a base coat of saddle tan leather dye, then hit it with some dark walnut Minwax, and some powdered tempera “patina”.  Rubbed it all back to where I wanted it, and finished up with a coat of neutral shoe polish. The strap is a simple finger woven sisal strap, which I think goes good with this horn. I’ll probably wind up pairing this one with a rustic looking bag from Jim Webb’s book.

Greg

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:12:54 PM by Greg Pennell »

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 07:09:08 PM »
   Greg, you done a fine job on that horn. A little scratching and you will be good to go. That will look good hanging on your shoulder with that smooth bore close by as well. Poor old Tom!  Good luck!  Mike Hamilton
Mikeh

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 07:12:53 PM »
Greg that horn looks beautiful.  You know I love banded ones.  You have held to your high craftsmanship standards sir.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 08:51:44 PM »
It doesn’t get any better than that one Greg. 

Online aaronc

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 10:55:48 PM »
Excellent work, Greg.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 03:29:55 AM »
Thanks guys. I couldn’t do this without all the help from Tim C’s tutorials, and the free flow of information on this site. If a guy had to figure this out on his own, it would be a tough row to hoe.  On to the next project!

Greg

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 09:33:00 PM »
You're a busy man Gregg.
Nice work, looks awesome

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2020, 01:48:19 AM »
 Nice work Greg, you should be Happy with that one, one of your straps Really sets it off. Glad I could help.

Tim