Author Topic: Lead Shot  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Jerry

Lead Shot
« on: April 10, 2020, 02:26:42 AM »
I have been shooting lead shot out of my smoothbore. At the range I wipe between shots. Shooting several shots of lead shot leads the cylinder bore. What is a good way to remove  leading? Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

Offline 577SXS

Re: Lead Shot
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 03:48:02 AM »
Use 0000 steel wool wrapped around a stiff bore bush until tight in bore. Scrub with oil on the steel wool. Are you using a lubed over powder wad? if not this would help prevent the leading to start with. I use either felt or fiber wads that are lubed by melting a good bullet lube and soaking the wads in the lube. As soon as lube soaks into wad remove it and place on a piece of soft wood that will soak up excess lube before it hardens. you can also by prelubed wads from many sources.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 04:02:18 AM »
577SXS, Thanks for the steel wool idea. Would you please share how your load column looks like? I haven't been using a lubed fiber wad, because I was having holes blown into my pattern. I have actually had whole fiber wads stick into my target at 25 yds. Many Thanks, Jerry

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 04:40:19 PM »
Jerry,

Yes lubed wads are like slugs but why worry about that unless you hit a quail or dove with the wad. I have shot a lot of muzzle loading shotguns over the years and tried many different wads. I just got through doing a lot of pattern tests my my 20 gauge Edward Marshall smooth bore with jug choke. The best patterns were with a 1/8" dry hard card on top of powder then two 1/4" lubed felt wads then shot then an 1/8" cork for over shot wad. For some reason I got much better patterns with the cork than with a standard card over shot wad. With this load I had 50 pellets in the neck of a turkey target at 20 yards and 25 pellets in neck at 30 yards. I use a 50/50 mix of #6 and #7 shot. My second best load is the same except I use one 1/4" lubed felt and one 1/2" lubed fiber wad. My bore is slick as can be after shooting and I have shot many rounds without cleaning. When seating the wad column seat all three wads at same time. If you don't do this you could have and air space between wads which could be really bad and cause bulge or blowup.

Sam

Offline JBJ

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 04:46:19 PM »
I used to use the 0000 steel wool. Would pull off a piece from the pad and wrap around an appropriate size bore brush screwed into a cleaning rod that had its handle removed. Wound enough on the brush to give a snug fit in the bore. Chucked the rod in a electric hand drill, applied some Hoppe's bore cleaner to the wool and spun it with the drill while moving the rod up and down the barrel. I found that in one barrel it was best to keep the rod moving up and down rather than spinning in one spot and to remove the whole from the barrel while still spinning. The reason being that in that barrel the wool appeared to very slightly cut or scratch the barrel and I was trying to avoid leaving a defined pattern of scratching and leave a polished result. Guess that barrel was very soft steel!  Probably all in my mind but that's what I did. Sure cleaned and brightened things up! Finally discovered a bronze wool made by Rhodes American in "fine" and that is what I how use instead of the steel wool. No discernible scratching and works a treat! By the way, you do not need to use new wool, either steel or bronze, each time. You will be able to clean several barrels before you decide enough is enough and change the wool. Hope my experiences help a bit.
J.B.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 06:59:55 PM »
Jerry,

Yes lubed wads are like slugs but why worry about that unless you hit a quail or dove with the wad. I have shot a lot of muzzle loading shotguns over the years and tried many different wads. I just got through doing a lot of pattern tests my my 20 gauge Edward Marshall smooth bore with jug choke. The best patterns were with a 1/8" dry hard card on top of powder then two 1/4" lubed felt wads then shot then an 1/8" cork for over shot wad. For some reason I got much better patterns with the cork than with a standard card over shot wad. With this load I had 50 pellets in the neck of a turkey target at 20 yards and 25 pellets in neck at 30 yards. I use a 50/50 mix of #6 and #7 shot. My second best load is the same except I use one 1/4" lubed felt and one 1/2" lubed fiber wad. My bore is slick as can be after shooting and I have shot many rounds without cleaning. When seating the wad column seat all three wads at same time. If you don't do this you could have and air space between wads which could be really bad and cause bulge or blowup.

Sam
PM Sent. Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »
The copper Kurly Kate kitchen scubber wrapped around a bronze brush will make short work of the lead.  Just pull a few strands of the flat copper from the
scrubber, then wrap them around the brush. they would even work on a nylon brush. I found this to work better than steel wool even in rifle barrels.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V