Author Topic: A Plea From An OLD Fool  (Read 8711 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
A Plea From An OLD Fool
« on: April 11, 2020, 08:16:06 PM »
Once again i've put myself in a spot i'm not happy with. I'm hoping you guys can help. You're like the only family I have now. Other than my dog Buddy.

Where do I start? First, let me say my heart is in traditional muzzleloaders and all that goes with owning, shooting, and hunting with one. Since 1980 i've used only Hawken style guns. It seemed fitting since I live and hunt in the Colorado Rockies. As many of you know I foolishly bought a modern muzzleloader this year. It's even scoped. (Lord help me) I've only taken 5 shots with it because I hate it. Yes, it's light and doesn't hurt my back to shoulder it and yes I can see the sights and target. Other than that it rubs me all the wrong ways.

I want a longrifle. A gun that puts a smile on my face to shoot it and just look at it. I've never been able to put the money together to buy one. The nice ones are way out of the question but even the plain looking cheap ones aren't really cheap. I'm trying to live on an SS check and there's only a little leftover to spend on a gun and all that goes with it. However, the stimulus payment i'm getting is giving me a chance to buy one. I can live on my SS check, so I don't need the stimulus payment for bills. I can't spend it all on the gun because i'll need to buy all the stuff to shoot it and take care of it. None of the inline stuff I have will work other than the powder measure. I got rid of everything else when I sold my last sidelock.

What I need is as long of a barrel as I can get away with. That means that my back can handle. It has to be a light barrel. It will be just a deer gun, so in Colorado that means a minimum of a .50. No more ek or bear. Just deer. The long barrel will help me to focus in the front sight. I'm a lefty but can shoot a RH gun ok. It would be nice if it didn't have a cheek piece and there can't be any cast off if it's a RH stock. Sights have to line up for me. I want to try a flintlock again but no cheap locks please. I did that once and it was frustrating. The last thing is cheek slap. I had cancer removed from my cheek and it's kind of sensitive. A stock that doesn't bank my cheek hard is appreciated. For deer I don't plan on a heavy load. 75gr of Goex 2F should work.

I'll have $800-$1000 to spend. I know it's not much when I see what the guns you guys sell go for but it's all i'll have.

What do you think guys? Can anybody help?

Offline snapper

Re: A Plea From An OLD Fool
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 08:24:41 PM »
Shoot me your email   afleener@yahoo.com

I dont have a rifle for you, but might be able to help point you in the direction of some that are going to be auctioned off.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 08:33:51 PM »
Here for anybody who might want to mail me. Thanks, Flenner.

petegaimari@yahoo.com

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 08:35:52 PM »
A left hand 38" swapped barrel c wt. 54 cal LH siler flint lock with red maple stock sounds to me like it would work for you. After all this virus stuff is over there might be some good used ones for sale.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 08:38:40 PM »
I agree that it sounds good. I fear it's out of my price range though.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »
If I were you, I’d post a “Wanted to Buy” ad in the classifieds department and state your price and what you’d like. You’d be surprised at how many rifles might be waiting in the wings to get offloaded at a solid price.

You could also build a kit. The superb Kiblers with their long swamped barrels can be had in .50 and are tops. Some here would even say “the cat’s meow” and while I can’t verify this personally as I have never owned a Kibler, some owners claim they even hold the lofty status of “the bee’s knees” and that, my friend, is a superlative endorsement indeed! The total price might be a *bit* out of your pricing range but a call to Jim or Katherine could set you up for success.

Depending on what tools and supplies you have about the house, you might not need to buy a single thing to finish the kit. If you do need tools or supplies, they can be acquired or hunted for at flea markets and so on.

Eventually, you would own a gorgeous rifle made by your own hand that fits your specs nicely. The wonderful people here can help you on the build, too. They’re very simple (the build, not the people). I, for one, am not a builder as I lack the patience and commitment so just buy or commission guns outright.

Lastly, Pedersoli or even Traditions might offer some rifles but typically their barrel are not swamped and don’t balance so well. But, if you’ve a local Cabelas, they sometimes stock the Pedersoli rifles and you can handle them there to get a feel for the way they shoulder and balance. Of course, this would be after the Great Coronavirus Scare of 2020.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:36:41 PM by Smokey Plainsman »

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 10:29:43 PM »
Where in Colo. are you?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 10:59:28 PM »
Smokey.........I'd love too but i'm not a builder either and live in a small apartment. No place to build one.

A nice idea though.

Thanks

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 11:00:00 PM »
Where in Colo. are you?

I'm in Buena Vista.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 11:27:58 PM »
Smokey.........I'd love too but i'm not a builder either and live in a small apartment. No place to build one.

A nice idea though.

Thanks

I know the feeling. I live in a small apartment too in Las Vegas.

I don’t know why, I can’t explain it really... but I have a feeling you’re going to get set up with a nice rifle and the fine people here can help you out. I wish like heck I had one to give you, but only own a single rifle at the moment.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 11:31:27 PM »
I hope you're right. I figured it was a longshot when I asked, so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Maybe a little. :)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 04:19:06 AM »
I know this is just my own opinion, but I would not spend the money on a Pedersoli or other import because the difference in locks and barrels vs American made is night and day. For the money you are looking at, I'm certain you can obtain a rifle with a swamped barrel and a decent flintlock.  A Kibler kit will get you where you want to be as well, and you'll have the satisfaction of putting it together.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 04:33:01 AM »
I know this is just my own opinion, but I would not spend the money on a Pedersoli or other import because the difference in locks and barrels vs American made is night and day. For the money you are looking at, I'm certain you can obtain a rifle with a swamped barrel and a decent flintlock.  A Kibler kit will get you where you want to be as well, and you'll have the satisfaction of putting it together.

The OP already has stated he is not a builder.

Did you read his postings, friend?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 05:53:32 AM »
MtnMan,
I have several LH rifles available. Let me see what there is in a .50. Will post here tomorrow.
Mark

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »

I remember taking woodshop in high school. I was horrible and barely passed. I did great in auto shop and became a dealer mechanic for 20 years before turning to truck driving. Even if I had the skills to build a gun I don't have a place to do it. I live in a small one bedroom apartment that wouldn't work for building a gun.

It's a nice thought though Bob. I wish I could build my own gun. I'm sure i'd enjoy it. I get a small taste of it when I tie my own flies for fly fishing. It's more satisfying than using flies i've bought.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 05:18:21 PM »
Mtnman,
I have 2 LH percussion rifles;
LH TC .50 Renegade in very good condition with a pristine barrel. $475 plus shipping.

LH custom .54 with an unfired Montana barrel, 1/2 stock. $600 plus shipping.

If interested PM me for more details and pictures.
Mark

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 05:20:34 PM »
Pete,
Just sent you a PM.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »
Hold off, guys.

I'm working with Dennis on a gun he offered me. It sounds pretty good so far. :)

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 01:29:57 AM »
OldMtnMan,

As for seeing the sights you should think about a peep sight regardless of barrel length. My eyes have gotten to the point I can't use regular irons sights anymore. I have put peep sights on all the guns I shoot. A peep will give you clear front sight and target.

Sam

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 02:34:16 AM »
I did use a peep before going to a scope. They do help and i'll have to go back to one.

I have to be honest. I will miss the scope. I haven't seen the sights/target/game that good for a lot of years.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 02:44:14 AM »
I did use a peep before going to a scope. They do help and i'll have to go back to one.

I have to be honest. I will miss the scope. I haven't seen the sights/target/game that good for a lot of years.

There is NOTHING wrong with using a scope if your eyesight is struggling. Don’t let anyone goad you into thinking otherwise.

Any good gunsmith should be able to drill and tap the flintlock for a scope. If that’s what your eyesight requires, then it beats staying home. Plenty of later era target rifles were scoped.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 03:04:38 AM »
I can't do that Smokey. I just can't. I know some guys do it but that's their choice. The scope was the main reason I left sidelocks and went to the modern version. I'm not bothered with putting a scope on it.

In Colorado, it's not legal to use a scope in muzzleloader season. They gave me a special disability vision license that allows me to do it. So, they believe I should use one. I've never been stopped by a warden since I got that license. They stamp the disabilities on every tag I get. I've wondered what a warden would think if my tags were stamped that I should use a scope and I wasn't using one?

They even put the disabilities on my fishing license. :)  Colorado is funny.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 03:13:05 AM »
You can soft solder a plate that is drilled and tapped for your scope to the barrel. When you want to remove it just warm it up to take it off and clean the solder off, touch up the finish and no one will ever know it was there.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 03:54:21 AM »
How would you keep me from knowing when i'm shooting it? I don't really care what others think. It's me I have to satisfy.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 09:36:40 AM »
Old Mountain Man,

You seem to neither be a fool and probably aren’t so old.

In a past life, I worked in a nursing home and a lady their was 113 years of age, her parents being slaves. She was a smiling, happy woman.

On this Easter Sunday, I just know you will be blessed! Take care and Godspeed, a rifle and you will soon meet!