Author Topic: A Plea From An OLD Fool  (Read 8796 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: A Plea From An OLD Fool
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »
Even if the weight of the two( Hawken/longrifle ) were close to the same the longrifle would balance further back and be much easier to carry and shoulder IMHO. Also the flat butt beats the cresent style hands down for comfort of shooting.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »
Cut a Rice barrel? I'd sooner crack my back. ;)

I'll have a better idea when Dennis weighs it.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2020, 08:13:13 PM »
Even if the weight of the two( Hawken/longrifle ) were close to the same the longrifle would balance further back and be much easier to carry and shoulder IMHO. Also the flat butt beats the cresent style hands down for comfort of shooting.

My thoughts exactly. Most of the Hawkens were carried on horseback back in the day.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2020, 08:29:37 PM »
Cut a Rice barrel? I'd sooner crack my back. ;)

I'll have a better idea when Dennis weighs it.

Ok I just weighed it. It weighs 7.6 lbs which I believe is 7 pounds and 6 tenths pounds and NOT 7 pounds 6 oz (digital scale)

I am used to shouldering it and it shoulders fine right handed but left handed is awkward to me. Gun balances well but I will be honest it might be too heavy for someone with brittle bones/spine and I would sure hate for you to get it and not be able to use it. I am afraid to say if it will work for you are not.

My wife is pretty strong and she has problems shouldering it but she is not a shooter.
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:20:12 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2020, 08:45:05 PM »
Have you shouldered a GPR Dennis? If it feels lighter than that it might be ok for me.

It weighs what I was hoping. I just didn't want it to be a 9lb gun.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2020, 08:54:13 PM »
I know you want a long barrel, but don’t onverlook a canoe gun or blanket rifle. These were used by native Americans as a sort of concealable firearm for carrying in their canoes or for hiding under a blanket at night.

A 20 bore canoe gun with light fusil barrel would be ideal. Something with a barrel length of 24” or so. With a rear sight it will be just as accurate as anything else. Also, make sure the length of pull is correct for you. Too long a length of pull and put extra stress on your spine. Much overlooked, do you know your length of pull?

I know guys like Jackie Brown could hook you up with a super lightweight and handy canoe gun with rear sight or even peeps and finished to your liking. With your medical condition, it would be ideal.

Another option is the Pedersoli Trade Musket:

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_78/rifles-indian-trade-musket-indian-trade-musket.html

It’s within your budget and the quality is very good. Weighs just 7.2 lbs and all reports say it has an extremely light barrel and balances like a lightweight sporting shotgun, and it has your long barrel. Don’t let anyone here tell you it’s a bad gun. Tons of people are very happy with them and you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg for it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:02:34 PM by Smokey Plainsman »

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
You're forgetting my other problem Smokey. My vision. The long barrel will help me focus on the front sight. My inline has a 24" barrel and I had to put a scope on it because the front sight was impossible for me to see.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2020, 09:03:49 PM »
You're forgetting my other problem Smokey. My vision. The long barrel will help me focus on the front sight. My inline has a 24" barrel and I had to put a scope on it because the front sight was impossible for me to see.

A set of peeps and properly proportioned front and rear should help that immensely. Did you see the Pedersoli trade gun? It’s an option for you.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2020, 09:09:52 PM »
I put a peep on the inline. It didn't work with the barrel that short.

I'm pretty set on getting a long rifle. I could see the front sight on the GPR much better but another 6" will really help.

Plus, i'm still into the fur trade era and a long rifle fits even better than a Hawken.

Thanks for your thoughts Smokey but i'm pretty much set on a long rifle. I know it will work other than using the inline which I don't want to do. It will go up for sale as soon as I settle on a long rifle.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:48 PM »
That 38" swamped barrel will feel like a feather compared to straight octagon Hawken. I think 38" is the perfect length for a longrifle. Anything over 40 is TOO long. Wait all you traditional guys don't get mad. If you want a 46 inch barrel and be historically accurate that's fine and more power to you. I talking purely from a practical hunting standpoint. 

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »
That 38" swamped barrel will feel like a feather compared to straight octagon Hawken. I think 38" is the perfect length for a longrifle. Anything over 40 is TOO long. Wait all you traditional guys don't get mad. If you want a 46 inch barrel and be historically accurate that's fine and more power to you. I talking purely from a practical hunting standpoint.

Do you think the 32" barrel on the GPR will feel heavier than the 38" on Dennis's gun? Dennis hasn't shouldered a GPR, so couldn't help. I'm trying to get all the info I can before buying it. It's not cheap to ship a gun that long. Dennis said I can return it if I don't like it. I don't do that, so I need to be sure I can use the gun.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2020, 10:06:37 PM »
What ever you buy if you do, don,t buy a questionable lock type of gun. Buy something you can get parts for. A 38" long swamped barrel will be a treat compared to a straight barrel gun.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2020, 10:13:48 PM »
Rice barrels are as good as it gets. What kind of lock is on that rifle.  If Dennis built it I have a feeling its a good one.
iloco

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2020, 10:19:42 PM »
Dennis said it has a Siler lock. That was important too. I've had cheap flint locks and they're frustrating. The second Dennis said Siler I stopped thinking about the lock and put my attention to how it shouldered.

Offline iloco

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2020, 10:25:50 PM »
I have an Isac Haines rifle with a 38 incch swamped barrel in 50 caliber with a siler lock.  It has the same style butt plate as Dennis Rifle. Its very easy on the shoulder when shooting.  Siler locks are one the best and you can get parts for them if needed.
iloco

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2020, 10:41:31 PM »
Not too concerned with recoil. I can make that what I want. It's the weight of the barrel on my lower back that i'm concerned with.

I sure wish someone who's shouldered a Haines rifle and a GPR would chime in. I've owned 5-6 GPR's and know what they feel like. I'd then have a good idea what Dennis's rifle feels like.

Offline iloco

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »
My haines rifle feels lighter than my 32 caliber Kibler and holds much better.  Haines has a 38 inch barrel. Kibler has a 44 inch barrel.
iloco

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2020, 10:51:45 PM »
My haines rifle feels lighter than my 32 caliber Kibler and holds much better.  Haines has a 38 inch barrel. Kibler has a 44 inch barrel.

It could be that .32 barrel is heavier than you think. Dennis's is a .54 and should be pretty light. I saw the specs on a Rice 38" barrel and I believe it was 4.2 lbs.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2020, 01:38:45 AM »
Yes I think the Isaac Haines in 50 would feel much lighter and probably would actually be lighter than a 32 inch straight octagon Hawken.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2020, 02:03:00 AM »
I just told Dennis about this but should tell you guys too, so don't wonder what i'm doing. My biggest fear when buying a RH gun and shooting it left handed is the stock will have cast off and the sights won't line up for me.

Dennis used a Dunlop kit and I found this from their website. It's a copy-paste and not my words.

A carved stock with cast-off and inletted for a swamp barrel

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2020, 02:42:40 AM »
When I shoulder my rifle  with my eyes closed, I can open my eyes and the sights are right there and on target.  That is the beauty of a cast off stock and proper fit etc.   Considering your vision troubles, you may be smart to hold out for a left hand rifle ....with a swamped barrel.  Are you comfortable with the touch hole venting right out in front of your face ?  Some folks use right hand guns while shooting "lefty" and don't mind, but it's something to consider.  It sure would be nice if you could get a chance to shoulder and fire a few different rifles so you could feel the differences .   A trim late Lancaster style rifle with a "B" weight 38 inch swamped barrel, or a nice Oct to round barrelled  38 or 42 in / 20 gauge smoothbore would be my final suggestions. My own 20 bore has a 38 in barrel and it is light and handles wonderfully.   It has taken everything from partridge to deer and black bears

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2020, 03:11:32 AM »
I actually prefer a RH flintlock. I like a LH caplock. I'm a RH shooter and have been all my life. A few years ago I lost the sight in my right eye and had to learn to shoot left handed. Because of a botched up operation on my right eye I have to keep anti-biotic in it and always use a patch to keep it from getting infected.

So, shooting a RH flinter puts the flash in front of my blind eye with a patch over it. Needless to say, i'm not bothered by the flash. :) However, I have to make sure it doesn't have any cast off.

That's my crummy eye cast off story. Boring eh?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2020, 03:39:19 AM »
MtnMan,
I am a eighty and lost the right eye. While learning to shoot lefty I made a sight that lets me shoot right handed with my left eye. At Friendship a couple of guys complained but the range officers approved it. Can't post but can send pics if you want to see it.
Mark

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2020, 04:02:40 AM »
That reminds me of a stock that did the same thing. It was like a letter S.

I don't have a gun, so it's just as easy to find either a LH gun or a RH gun with no cast off. I think it's more unusual to find a gun with cast off. Too bad Dennis's gun has it.

I'm curious to see the sight though. It must hang off the side of the gun?

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2020, 04:22:34 AM »
I put a peep on the inline. It didn't work with the barrel that short.

I'm pretty set on getting a long rifle. I could see the front sight on the GPR much better but another 6" will really help.

Plus, i'm still into the fur trade era and a long rifle fits even better than a Hawken.

Thanks for your thoughts Smokey but i'm pretty much set on a long rifle. I know it will work other than using the inline which I don't want to do. It will go up for sale as soon as I settle on a long rifle.

Don't forget Pete, lot of smoothies went west during the fur trade. Probably a lot more of them than the rifles we associate with the mountain men.

Mike