Author Topic: Flintlock turkey  (Read 2717 times)

Offline 577SXS

Flintlock turkey
« on: April 13, 2020, 01:59:08 AM »
I got my first turkey with my flintlock smooth bore. The gun is a Chambers Edward Marshall with my own twist to it. I had built another Edward Marshall in 58 caliber and bought the 20 gauge barrel to switch when turkey season came in. Well I decided to just build a complete gun instead. First a hate finger rails on trigger guards so I reshaped the trigger guard and I'm not a real fan of patch boxes either. The stock had a little extra wood where patch box was supposed to go so I shaped it to mimic a patch box and cut a couple of turkeys into it. The barrel is a 20 gauge Rice with a jug choke for Full choke. I also put a peep sight on it because I can't see rear sights anymore.
The turkey was shot at about 12 yards. The bird was coming to me through tall Rye on the edge of a food plot. I shot as soon as his head broke the cover. When I shot a bird got up and flew which scared me because I hadn't seen the second bird. I couldn't see my dead bird on ground for the smoke! The load was 100 grs of Swiss 2F and 1 1/2 oz of a 50/50 mix of #6 & #7 lead shot. Wad column was 1/8" hard dry card, two 1/4" lubed felt over powder and a 1/8" cork wad over shot. SMOKED him! So much fun. NO 3 inch Magnum tungsten shot with red dot sights. Before the flintlock I did most of my turkey hunting with an 1870s WW Greener damascus hammer shotgun. I'm afraid the Greener isn't going to go turkey hunting much anymore.

Offline 577SXS

Re: Flintlock turkey
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 02:03:01 AM »
And I forgot to mention this was and old bird with long spurs but his beard had rooted off and was only about 2 inches long.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 02:38:12 AM »
Nice bird, and a nice gun!  Congrats on both!  Our season in Kentucky opens next weekend, and I hope to do the same.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline acorn20

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 06:24:10 AM »
Nice looking bird!  Congrats!
Dan Akers

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 06:37:44 AM »
Very nice bird and good looking 'gun'.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 07:42:42 PM »
Congratulations on a beautiful bird. Much more rewarding than killing one with all the modern equipment folks use now a days.

Chad

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 09:39:08 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm afraid flintlocks are like any gun for a gun nut they are an addiction once you figure them out. I never thought I'd own a flintlock much less build one. Now I'm about to finish No. 5 and have another semi carved blank, barrel and lock on the way.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 01:32:15 AM »
Congrats ! Well done.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 01:59:14 AM »
Nice turkey!!  Is that a Dale Johnson lock?

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
The lock is Early Germanic from Chambers. This was an Edward Marshall kit less barrel from Chambers. I ordered the barrel separately from Rice.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 04:45:55 PM »
Pretty Tom and gun. Well done. I love taking a Turkey...

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 10:59:17 PM »
Got my second bird with flintlock. Why do they always come in behind you. This bird actually came within 6 feet of me but was directly behind me. I was sitting beside a huge oak tree near the river bank. He finally circled around to my left and I was able to get a shot at 16 yards. Clak,bang ,flop!

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 11:43:56 PM »
NICE bird and a nicer bird and really nice flinter ,building it makes it even better !

Offline Skychief

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 01:25:23 AM »
577, don't know how I missed this thread earlier, but, congratulations on BOTH birds!!!

Just great!  Appreciate your sharing with us.  I can't see enough of these hunting posts.

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline wolf

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 07:06:54 PM »
beautiful fellers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Percy

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 03:21:42 PM »
Well done, those are real nice birds. Good looking flintlock too.

Percy