Author Topic: 1867 Hackney target rifle  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Canute Rex

1867 Hackney target rifle
« on: April 15, 2020, 11:51:53 PM »
I just bought a percussion target rifle and I'm trying to figure out a few things about it.

It was made in 1867 in Dayton Ohio by W. W. Hackney. The condition is amazing. It looks unfired, or at worst test fired. There are a few dings in the stock but the finish is all there like factory new, and there is none of the usual shrinkage around the wood to metal fit. No corrosion on or around the nipple and the bore looks great. The fact that the oval plate on the stock is not engraved makes me think that this was delivered to a merchant and never sold.

I know you want photos, so here are a few:

A Golcher lock with a single set trigger.

Interesting lollipop peep sight with windage adjustment.

Odd projection on the second ramrod pipe. Not a sling mount, surely?

Threaded hole just in front of the trigger bow. For a palm rest? Hmmmmm.

Big pointless screw head on the bottom of the buttstock. Ideas?

I slugged the false muzzle and got 0.420 land to land and 0.440 groove to groove. Looking down the barrel it looks like a fast twist. The front hooded sight is a bit loose in its dovetail and actually has a tiny pointer built in to the back end of the tube, I guess for lining up with marks. The barrel is 1-1/4" by 34-1/2" and weighs a TON. It has "Remington" and "Cast Steel" stamped into it. Halfway down the barrel there is a dovetail with a metal plate in it with a threaded hole. There are wear marks behind it that suggest an open sight on a long tab with a notched wedge under it for adjusting elevation.

I figure this would take a picket bullet or similar slug with a paper patch. I'd be happy to hear recommendations on bullets and loads. Also any ideas about the type of shooting this was designed for and where it fits into the target rifle genre of that period.

Offline 45-110

Re: 1867 Hackney target rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 12:27:34 AM »
Really nice rifle and I love the peep sight. Nice find! Having been rigged for a sling too.
kw

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 12:46:06 AM »
What a beauty!!! Thank you for dropping by with it. A lot of jaws will drop when the folks see this. Since I don't shoot, I can't offer much advice on shooting it, but a photo of the muzzle and the starter might help in the discussion. Thanks again.
Dick

WESTbury

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 01:23:58 AM »
Really just outstanding. The wood is spectacular.

How much does it weigh?

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 01:56:08 AM »
WESTbury: I haven't weighed it but probably 11 pounds or so.

I've been looking at available bullet molds and the closest thing I can find is 0.410". Lots of grooves, though. I've seen photos of original paper patched bullets and they looked to be smooth sided, unlike a modern bullet. I'm afraid I may have to turn my own cherry and make a mold.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:26:11 AM by Ky-Flinter »

WESTbury

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 02:19:28 AM »
I'm not really well versed in this subject but taking the cautious approach you mention would probably be the way to go.

Particularly when such a beautiful antique rifle is involved.

Please keep us informed with your progress.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 03:12:46 AM »
 Look for a mold for a 38-40.  It should be pretty close. The threaded hole in front of the trigger guard is for a palm rest. This gun may have been originally fitted with a old fashioned tube scope. They were notoriously fragile, and often get replaced with iron sights. These guns always came with high end loading equipment, unfortunately it sounds like you got none of it. I’m surprised the bore isn’t a gain twist, many of them were. I’m not sure Remington made many gain twist barrels.

Hungry Horse
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:28:10 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »
I'd have to learn more about W. W. Hackney, but he might have rifled it himself. Some gunmakers, such as Nelson Lewis, bought smoothbore barrels from Remington and rifled them. Some bought then rifled.

Hungry Horse, the bore is .420" land to land, so a 38 would be a bit small. I'm looking for a bullet in the .410" to .419" range (I think). I need to turn down a cleaning jag so I can get a patch down the bore and check the twist. I have the false muzzle. It has a shallow dish shape to the front, so no idea as to the type of patch or ball/bullet.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
 A 38-40 is exactly the opposite of most caliber/powder designated guns. It is 40 caliber. And the bullet is a bit larger than .40.

Hungry Horse

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 12:24:56 AM »
So, new discovery. I chucked a 45 jag in my lathe and turned it down to fit this rifle, then ran an oiled patch down.

Two things. One, the bore is like a mirror. Two, it has about 5/8 of a turn in 34" of barrel. That works out to one turn in 54.4". I'd say that this is a round ball barrel. Add the 0.010" deep rifling and it seems like a sure thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a picket/bullet barrel cut those two numbers in half?

I have molds for .410" and .426" round balls. I'm going to start with the .410 and an 0.018" patch and see how that goes. I'll report back in the shooting section.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 04:06:15 AM »
WW Hackney 1833 - 1916. Gunsmith, nickel, silver & gold plating company, real estate agent and bicycle  repairer & locksmith in Dayton Ohio. Had a gun and real estate store in 1875 other than that he worked out of shops located at his residences. No specific mention of rifling his own barrels. Hope this helps a little.
Mark

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 06:02:17 PM »
Thanks, Smokinbuck, nice to know. Hackney must have been quite a resourceful man.