Author Topic: Lowe’s Painters Canvas  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Lowe’s Painters Canvas
« on: April 16, 2020, 04:32:02 AM »
Anyone have any luck with the painters throw canvas at Lowe’s as patching? I bought a 10’x10’, washed and dried it. It Mics about .024, which is about perfect for my needs. It’s a bit looser than pillow ticking but seems workable....

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Lowe’s Painters Canvas
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 04:35:49 AM »
I bought canvas from Big Duck Canvas. I use the 10-10 weight. Makes a good tight patch.
Stop Marxism in America

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:14:54 AM »
Jo-Ann’s has several varieties of heavy denim that should be around that thickness. Can’t get much tighter than that. Just an idea.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »
I bought canvas from Big Duck Canvas. I use the 10-10 weight. Makes a good tight patch.

Thanks Wayne.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 02:39:27 PM »
Bob, if you’ve already washed and dried that canvas to tighten it up, hit it with a good coat of Thompson’s Water Seal and use it for your kit...should make a serviceable “oilcloth”, and much safer than using any of the linseed oil mixes.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 03:17:13 PM »
Bob, if you’ve already washed and dried that canvas to tighten it up, hit it with a good coat of Thompson’s Water Seal and use it for your kit...should make a serviceable “oilcloth”, and much safer than using any of the linseed oil mixes.

Greg

So ‘No’ on using it as patching? I figured exactly that Greg, if it fails as a patching I could use it as oil cloth.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »
Jo-Ann’s has several varieties of heavy denim that should be around that thickness. Can’t get much tighter than that. Just an idea.

Yep. Thanks. I’ve heard someone here on the forum always saying he uses canvas in patching discussions so I thought I’d give it a shot as I’ve used most everything else. The Lowe’s stuff appears to not be the highest quality canvas but possibly serviceable. 

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 03:37:08 PM »
I haven’t tried it for patching, but will do as a shelter or wind break around camp.

The Sherwin Williams drop cloths are of better quality and tighter weave.

I treated my Lowe’s canvas with silicone caulking and un scented mineral spirits too provide additional waterproofing ..

I’ve used old blue jeans for heavy patching material, it worked well.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »
I have used a light canvas I measure at .022" compressed in the calipers. It is less compressible than the denim that measures the same, meaning
it is harder loading. That's good, btw & it seems to work quite well in my .69, that prefers .030" patches. I would try it Bob. Might be the cat's meow.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline EC121

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 11:06:09 PM »
I'm like Wayne.  I use awning canvas.
Brice Stultz

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 08:25:07 PM »
A good artist supply shop will have a variety of unsized canvas on rolls.  Meininger is one.   They label by oz.  I've found that the stuff at hobby lobby and Michael's is not tight and not very high quality.

https://www.google.com/search?q=meininger&oq=meinin&aqs=chrome.0.0l2j69i57j0.4773j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:,rc_ludocids:3903002442105521074,rc_q:HR%2520Meininger%2520Company,ru_q:HR%2520Meinin
Mike Lee

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:58 PM »
I bought some of the Lowes drop sheets to cover my hardwood floor during remodeling. I think its too soft and loose woven. Too many other good choices for patch material.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 11:53:14 PM »
I bought some of the Lowes drop sheets to cover my hardwood floor during remodeling. I think its too soft and loose woven. Too many other good choices for patch material.

Thanks. I shot it today in a Mike Brooks .58 with a Colerain barrel. .575/.024. Held up fine. No blown patches or any other weirdness. Seems a bit loose in the weave so I'll find something else, but no issues....

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 10:37:58 PM »
This type of canvas is my preferred patch material.  I've had a supply for years so can't remember where it came from.  It loads easily - actually more easily than similar denim or  the thinner "duck" material - and doesn't scorch.  In fact the fired patches are often clean enough to reuse, which I've done before. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 10:57:33 PM »
This type of canvas is my preferred patch material.  I've had a supply for years so can't remember where it came from.  It loads easily - actually more easily than similar denim or  the thinner "duck" material - and doesn't scorch.  In fact the fired patches are often clean enough to reuse, which I've done before.

I went to the range yesterday with the Brooks .58 using .575 balls and the Lowe’s painters canvas that miked at .024 (medium hard pressure with the micrometer). Shot great. Patches looked good. I needed a mallet but instead I have a bruised palm, other than that I’m impressed.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 12:43:08 AM »
Bob, on Hanshi' s recommendation year's ago, I tried Cotton duck. I buy it at Jo Ann's.  Worked better than any other patching material I've tried (a lot of different materials) in ALL of my rifles.

Loads easy and shoots tight groups with a super tight weave.  Tough as nails. Never a bad used patch recovered even out of a rifle or two I have that are known to obliterate other materials.

Just my two cents, and worth both pennies.

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 12:59:57 AM »
Thanks Skychief. I’ll go pick some up.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 01:10:22 AM »
Just saw your new film on YouTube, Bob. Outstanding! Your camera clarity and production values are very high. That Brooks coach gun is a beauty for sure!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 01:27:53 AM »
Just saw your new film on YouTube, Bob. Outstanding! Your camera clarity and production values are very high. That Brooks coach gun is a beauty for sure!

Thanks Smokey! She's a beaut!

Offline AsMs

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 10:22:07 PM »
I agree with the cotton duck. I bought it in red color so I can pick out my patches from the other patches at the range I shoot at.

AsMs

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 05:11:46 AM »
Now that is cheap (inexpensive) denim.
We're paying close to $30.00 now, per meter. (39.37")
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 09:19:18 AM »

Do you need us to bootleg some up to you? Lol

Mike

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 09:24:29 AM »

Do you need us to bootleg some up to you? Lol

Mike

Maybe along with some proper whiskey? NYUK NYUK NYUK!!!