Author Topic: Covid374  (Read 6313 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Covid374
« on: April 16, 2020, 03:39:32 PM »
Er...gun #374 ;) This one heads to Alabamy today. Built along the Berks county school with a few of the usual Brooksisms thrown in. Dandy piece of sugar maple. Harrison stump  wood. Dale Johnson lock, Rice 38" C weight .54 swamped barrel, BP and TG are from my local castings. I made the sideplate and the pipes are TOTW. Equipped with swivels. Weight is an ounce or two over 8lbs.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Covid374
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »
She’s a beauty of a hog rifle Mike. Very appealing. Side plate and patchbox cover are perfect. Love the different engraving. Cool gun.

How long a screw did you use on the rear swivel? Do you use glue as well?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 04:14:55 PM »
She’s a beauty of a hog rifle Mike. Very appealing. Side plate and patchbox cover are perfect. Love the different engraving. Cool gun.

How long a screw did you use on the rear swivel? Do you use glue as well?
It's a 1/4" X by 1" lag bolt. It ain't coming out! ;D  I actually got this one in the middle of the stock for a change... :P
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 04:24:07 PM »
Nice rifle Mike. Too bad it's not mine. Anthony should really like it.  If not I'll take. Bob it probably will go hog hunting. Anthony intends to use it as his big game hunting rifle. Nice piece of wood with a great finish Mike.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
I stained this with the old Aqua Fortis that TOTW used to sell, then a coat of thinned down Dangler's redbrown. then scrubbed the $#*! out of it.   I like the color.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 05:17:48 PM »
Yep Mike, that one is sharp.  I really like all of it.  I agree, that color came out super.  I like those late 18th century lines.....solid but graceful.  I'd be proud to own that one.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 05:59:07 PM »
Very fine.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 06:07:06 PM »
Very nice Mr. Brooks. Color and finish are top shelf.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »
Real nice Mike,love the color

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 06:27:59 PM »
Nice Mr. Brooks.
I swore I would never use this term, but I just gotta.
Your guns always have an " organic" feel.  Ya just wanna put your hands on em.
I guess you could call them " new girlfriend" guns!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 06:41:51 PM »
Nice Mr. Brooks.
I swore I would never use this term, but I just gotta.
Your guns always have an " organic" feel.  Ya just wanna put your hands on em.
I guess you could call them " new girlfriend" guns!

I’ll go ahead and say it. They’re sexy.  ;)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a cleaner rifle from your bench Mike.  Sweet!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »
That is a pleasant, warm looking rifle. Nice.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alex e.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 09:06:10 PM »
Nice!
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 09:07:28 PM »
Very nice - as usual!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline ScottH

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 10:20:55 PM »
Somebody is going to be really happy!
Fine as Frog Hair!  ;)
And that is a great butt plate, I like the way it kinda wraps around the heel.

Offline Mike C

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 10:42:39 PM »
Mike,
How did you finish the steel surfaces?
Mike C
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 01:12:06 AM »
Mike,
How did you finish the steel surfaces?
Mike C
Rust in a damp box for 4 or 5 days then sand it all off. 

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 01:30:23 AM »
What a wonderful rifle Mr. Brooks. My question concerns the front swivel. I am guessing you used a barrel lug for the cross bolt....... How do keep that cross bolt from interfering with the ram rod channel if the web between the barrel and stock is kept at a minimum?  I tried using a #6 bolt and it still didn't work on this rifle but I have been successful on other rifles. It must be the stock?  Thank you. JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 04:33:30 AM »
Nice, Mike!  I’m getting very partial to this type of rifle, and this ones a dandy.  Nifty piece of wood to boot!  Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
Hey Mike,
       That sure is as nice of a rendition of a Reading City rifle as I have seen.  Too bad someone palmed that ugly stick of wood off on you.  The grain almost confuses the mind looking at it, but then at my age I am easily confused.   #374 huh!  what happened, you on vacation?  I pulled a few numbers ahead of you...more whittling and less typing... Best wishes
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline rennikselum

• Jeff Rogers
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »
Beautiful!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »
What a wonderful rifle Mr. Brooks. My question concerns the front swivel. I am guessing you used a barrel lug for the cross bolt....... How do keep that cross bolt from interfering with the ram rod channel if the web between the barrel and stock is kept at a minimum?  I tried using a #6 bolt and it still didn't work on this rifle but I have been successful on other rifles. It must be the stock?  Thank you. JZ
Being a swamped barrel there is plenty of wood in the web in that area for a swivel bolt. I used a #6. There isn't alot of wiggle room. I usually use a 5/32" web at the muzzle and breech which gives you even more wood under the swamp. I could probably even go to an 1/8" web and still do it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
Hey Mike,
       That sure is as nice of a rendition of a Reading City rifle as I have seen.  Too bad someone palmed that ugly stick of wood off on you.  The grain almost confuses the mind looking at it, but then at my age I am easily confused.   #374 huh!  what happened, you on vacation?  I pulled a few numbers ahead of you...more whittling and less typing... Best wishes
Ron
I'm old and busted up. If I get 6 guns done a year now it's a miracle. Back in my wasted youth I sometimes did as many as 18 carved rifles a year. Now it's arthritis in my hands, back, neck and knees. I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours in a day. Been getting more done lately as my wife is a teacher and is home all the time now. I have to stay the  $#*! out of the house or she finds something for me to do. If I'm going to be in pain doing something I'd just as soon be building guns.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 06:00:16 PM »
Very sharp. I like it a lot. Ought to do quite a job on these hogs an whitetails here in hotabama
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning