Author Topic: Stitching pony, thoughts?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Brokennock

Stitching pony, thoughts?
« on: April 17, 2020, 03:43:01 AM »
I didn't want to hijack the topic in which questions were raised about stitching pony and clams. I understand one of the chief complaints about the Tandy version is that thread catching cross bolt and wingnut.
What are people's thoughts on this,
https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/65-2949/stitching-pony/pr_59326/cp_/shop-now/hand-tools/hand-stitching-lacing/stitching-horse

To me the comp looks very thick from top outside edge to bottom inside edge. But not having used one I'm not sure it matters.

Offline Mike from OK

Re: Stitching pony, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 09:14:24 AM »
The cam-over clamp certainly looks like it would be a better design than the nut and bolt fastener on the Tandy model. It's also farther down which would further reduce the chances of snagging your thread (plus a deeper throat for bigger projects)... However it might also weaken the clamping force some too. But you're not trying to crush your project so it might clamp just enough to work.

Is it really only 18 doll hairs?

Mike

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 02:17:05 PM »
$18?? I just ordered one.  Probably great to clamp top my stand-up bench.  Will work with small projects at the least.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 10:14:05 PM »
You can't beat that price -- I made two like it and with labor and if I had to buy the wood it would be more that $18.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

RoaringBull

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:35 PM »
Yeah I bought one, too. May just be a whole new way for me to do stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »
 I have a stitch horse that was given to me years ago in pieces. I made the missing parts, and have used it for years. It uses a tension strap, and a foot ratchet. It was used by a saddle maker, that also did fender covers, and dashboards for high end buggies.

Hungry Horse

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 08:02:22 AM »
I went ahead and ordered it. For the cost I feel it is worth the risk.

Anyone else who bought one recieve theirs yet?

Mine should be here in a few days. I'll report back.

RoaringBull

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 08:30:57 AM »
Mine will be here Friday. I'll report as well. It will be my first time using one.