Author Topic: Grease Holes  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Grease Holes
« on: April 17, 2020, 09:37:26 AM »
Recently a member asked about the shapes of grease holes and I thought it would be interesting to be able to compare a variety of them. Please post photos with any information you have on when and where the rifle was made. Has anyone seen one on a Fowler? This first one is on a rifle that came out of  Haywood County in western North Carolina. It is an original flint with a 46 inch long barrel. I have no idea when it was made.

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
Re: Grease Holes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »
This one is on a percussion rifle that came out of Missouri. I have no idea when or where this rifle was made.

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 02:23:43 PM »
Matthew Gillespie c1810 (pic from the CMB 6/24/14)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »
..... "OLD DEATH",.... the  bear rifle of Black Bill Walker, Tuckaleeche Cove, Blount Co. Tennessee, Great Smoky Mountains,... circa 1860's,......

Offline gibster

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 06:09:05 PM »
Here is one that is different. It's on a Rowan County NC rifle.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 08:44:31 PM »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 08:47:59 PM »
As one can see, it's hard to go wrong with a grease hole as long as you position it near right. I wonder if anyone has ever had the contents of an original tested to see what the composition of the lube was?

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 10:11:56 PM »
 ;) ;)... the (M*G) for Matthew Gillespie marked rifle in the GSMNP collection,... originally a flint gun, now cap with converted flint plate,... has the "Gillespie" egg-shaped taller-hole,... long & slender, I fell in love with this one when I first saw her over 50 years ago,.... Henderson Co. NC,... 

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
As one can see, it's hard to go wrong with a grease hole as long as you position it near right. I wonder if anyone has ever had the contents of an original tested to see what the composition of the lube was?

Someone I was talking with at the Tennessee Rifle Show in Norris had the contents of a patch box of a north Georgia rifle analyzed several years ago and it had remnants of bear fat!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 05:18:35 PM »

Someone I was talking with at the Tennessee Rifle Show in Norris had the contents of a patch box of a north Georgia rifle analyzed several years ago and it had remnants of bear fat!

Interesting. Thanks!

Offline rsherman

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 06:17:25 PM »
Thank you for sharing your guns and photos guys!
It helps take away a bit of the disappointment of the York shoot and Tennessee rifle show being cancelled.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 06:56:34 PM »
Any body got a two holer's? ?     

Thanks I,m enjoying the pictures.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:47:32 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 07:47:10 PM »
Here’s a cool two holer Jack Duprey built about 10 years ago. 40 cal.

Offline rsherman

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 07:47:59 PM »
Cshirsch, would you please provide the  name of the maker if known and location of the rifle you posted on #6 of this thread?  And also a larger  photo  including the lock and trigger guard?  Thanks for posting it in the first place. Am hoping to see a few more submissions.

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 08:00:34 PM »
Here is a rectangular taller hole on an early Israel McInturff rifle circa 1820’s-1830’s.

-Adam

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 11:32:44 PM »
You don't see Israel McInturff's work every day!!!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 01:31:10 AM »
No problem Sequatchie Rifle! I collect and research the McInturff rifles and makers and I am glad that others are interested in the more unusual mountain rifles. I will post a separate topic for this particular rifle if you would be interested in seeing her.

-Adam

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 01:50:22 AM »
Adam Post em!!!!!
JIM

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »
Why 2 greasers?

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 06:43:03 PM »

This isn't an antique rifle but it is an old one. The barrel is actually a hand forged original that I decided to stock and see if it would shoot many years ago.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2020, 12:55:18 AM »
I heard someone say you can press a cloth patch over the grease hole to protect the grease from dirt or creek sand, etc.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 12:56:58 AM »
I heard someone say you can press a cloth patch over the grease hole to protect the grease from dirt or creek sand, etc.

Sure can. And when you're ready to load you’ve got a patch hanging on the side of your stock. Right handy.

Offline Burg

• Starting Member
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
This rifle is a signed "J * W" rifle made by John Waisner Jr in Rowan county, NC probably sometime in the 1820's and never got very far from home.  See "North Carolina Schools of Longrifles 1765 - 1865" Rifle # 152 and #153.  It was passed down to my mentor Albert Helton in Rutherford county, NC by his Grandfather sometime in the mid 1900's.  I do not remember when I first met Albert but it was before 1960 and he lit the muzzle loading fire that still is burning today.  He did not call himself a gunsmith but preferred to be called a gun mechanic.  One of the many things I remember about him was that he color case hardened in his forge with bone and leather charcoal he made using a Dental Sweet Snuff can as the container for the charcoal and gun parts.  The rifle has two grease holes under the cheek piece and I do not know whether they are original to the gun or were added later.  The grease holes are old and unfortunately I do not remember a conversation about them with Albert. 

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »
 :o :o.. Well, Burg,.. I see you are a "starting member", so welcome aboard and enjoy the ride,... !!!.... Now,... thanx for posting pix of this interesting rifle,... I've seen a lot of taller-holes on rifles, but never undrer the cheek rest,... I guess Rowan Co. is close enough for a gun to look like a mountain rifle,... !!! ... I really like her and would like to know more,... How about starting a new thread here and post more pix and tell us more about her,...??? .... thanx, ... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler....