Author Topic: Flint size for Kibler's NEW Round-face Lock- Anyone experiment yet?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Oil Derek

Just because ... curious and need some spares for my new Colonial build.

Katherine told me they recommend ⅞"x1" for the new Round-faced lock and I have no reason to doubt.  As is, it is a spectacularly fast lock!  Goes bang every time for sure. Yet, big frizzen and big jaws looks like it would beg for a 1"x11/8" flint. Anyone play around with this yet in a Colonial kit? Any advantages to larger flint size or don't try to fix what ain't broken?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Flint size for Kibler's NEW Round-face Lock- Anyone experiment yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 02:25:19 AM »
Just because ... curious and need some spares for my new Colonial build.

Katherine told me they recommend ⅞"x1" for the new Round-faced lock and I have no reason to doubt.  As is, it is a spectacularly fast lock!  Goes bang every time for sure. Yet, big frizzen and big jaws looks like it would beg for a 1"x11/8" flint. Anyone play around with this yet in a Colonial kit? Any advantages to larger flint size or don't try to fix what ain't broken?

Yea 7/8” seems perfect to me. I don’t have one mounted yet but I have ran tests as seen in a video on my channel. Frizzen width and clearing the bolster with just a smidge of offset begs for a 7/8”. A 1” may need to much offset in the jaws and would have some rock on the outside of the frizzen.

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 02:49:09 AM »
Thanks Bob.

Yep, things I'm not smart enough to consider. :o Haven't seen that vid yet, but surely enjoyed the ones I have watched; You just might be the Robert Redford of Blackpowder- the Natural!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 03:00:34 AM »
Thanks Bob.

Yep, things I'm not smart enough to consider. :o Haven't seen that vid yet, but surely enjoyed the ones I have watched; You just might be the Robert Redford of Blackpowder- the Natural!

Another first...Robert Redford.....Gosh help me....

;)

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 03:37:58 AM »
Well that took an unexpected left turn ... guess I didn't think that through, ha! Sorry 'bout that Bob. I need one of them "Doh" emoji right now.:o  Of course you now know that my allusion was to the premise of the movie and not the bleeding-heart actor. Keep pitching them vids!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 03:41:44 AM »
Well that took an unexpected left turn ... guess I didn't think that through, ha! Sorry 'bout that Bob. I need one of them "Doh" emoji right now.:o  Of course you now know that my allusion was to the premise of the movie and not the bleeding-heart actor. Keep pitching them vids!

Thanks OD. I figured that’s what you meant. I got such a kick out of it I showed the post to my wife. We got a big laugh out of it.  ;D Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Jim Evans

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »
I stay with what Kibler told me to use.They made the lock and are the experts on it.
7/8 x 1 is what I got, from Track of the Wolf.

Offline Frank

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 05:06:20 PM »

Yea 7/8” seems perfect to me. I don’t have one mounted yet but I have ran tests as seen in a video on my channel. Frizzen width and clearing the bolster with just a smidge of offset begs for a 7/8”. A 1” may need to much offset in the jaws and would have some rock on the outside of the frizzen.
[/quote]

Excellent You Tube channel. Just subscribed.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 05:22:00 PM »
Thanks Frank.